What Would You Do With a Pipe That Smokes Very Hot and Wet? (GBD)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

So I have this GBD I picked up from Tim West's Ebay corner which was a recovered bowl that got a silver band and replacement stem put on because apparently no one else wanted it, and I've been trying to get it into smoking shape but it's one of my worst smokers. I love the shape and the bowl(which is a nicely grained billiard). My first analysis of the pipe is that it was either dip varnished, or or severely gunked up somehow, because this thing gets WAAAAAY too hot to touch. Like touching a pan that's been sitting on the heat levels of hot. I don't understand what it is about this pipe that just makes it retain rather than dissipate heat-- it has a reasonable amount of cake on it after 20 or so smokes, so I suspect that isn't the issue. Does GBD use varnish? I think the description said it was old if that helps, but I know that says next to nothing about the pipe, sorry for the ambiguity.

My first instinct was the sand the finish off, which I was confident was a varnish simply due to the way it responded when alcohol was put on it-- it simply had zero effect on the shine of the pipe. Most waxed pipes lose their wax and even bleed their stain if you get alcohol on it, right? This one, nada. Nothing came off even if i scrubbed the outside with alcohol. Pretty safe to conclude it's varnish then, right? Well anyway, I did sand the exterior, not sure how deep I should have went, but it hasn't effected the smoking quality unfortunately.

Do I sand it further? Do I sand the inside, in the event that a layer of varnish also coats the insdie of the bowl between the cake which contributes to a kind of heat-insulation effect?(Also would explain why it smokes sopping wet). Really just unsure what direction to go here since I only desire smoking mechanics and don't even care too much if I completely ruin the way the pipe looks, since I don't think it had much collector value anyway since it was a replacement stem and had a repair band.

My current plan is to just aggressively sand the outside and inside, but I was wondering if anyone had better ideas/advice, like continue smoking it for another 20 or 40 smokes, and if it would possibly get better this way. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Crush it under your boot heel and move on. Sometimes a lovely pipe just doesn’t smoke well. It sucks, but it happens. Do the world a favor and take it out of circulation or maybe plant a bonsai in it.

I’m assuming of course that it’s not your technique or wet tobacco or any number of other common issues and that the issue is truly specific to the pipe.

If it’s the pipe, life is too short. Move on and leave that dog behind.

Just my opinion however, take it for whatever it’s worth.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
In my experience smoking a lousy pipe doesn't make it better, but even if it does in your case, 40 bowls is a lot of smoking. Do you really want to potentially waste that much tobacco and time? On the other hand, sanding the interior might have some use and be a shortcut.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Crush it under your boot heel and move on. Sometimes a lovely pipe just doesn’t smoke well. It sucks, but it happens. Do the world a favor and take it out of circulation or maybe plant a bonsai in it.

I’m assuming of course that it’s not your technique or wet tobacco or any number of other common issues and that the issue is truly specific to the pipe.

If it’s the pipe, life is too short. Move on and leave that dog behind.

Just my opinion however, take it for whatever it’s worth.

This.

Reactions: pianopuffer

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Was the stummel unsmoked?

what’s the model name of the pipe? Is it a “pinner”?

the nomenclature was GBD (inside an oval), London Matt
and on the other side: London (over) England 133

It came smoked with some light cake.

Update: So I now have a suspicion on what the issue with this pipe is. I just decided to aggressively sand this thing to bare wood and start over(Call me stubborn, I won't let this pipe go!). I made a lot of progress, even going past the staining somewhat, and as I run my fingernail across the briar, the texture of the wood is very ... waxy, and it leaves a polished streak. What this tells me is... and let me know if you guys think this diagnosis is accurate or not: This pipe was buffed with some sort of wax/wax like substance which is inappropriate for briar and it terminally gunked the pipe. My question is, if this is the case, and someone used some sort of inappropriate coating, what can I do to purge the briar's pores? (If anything).

Last edited:
Reactions: diamondback

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Maybe try baking it in the oven on 200 (with the stem removed of course) for a few hours. Maybe this will bring some nasty stuff out of the briar?

Reactions: Casual

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
the nomenclature was GBD (inside an oval), London Matt
and on the other side: London (over) England 133

It came smoked with some light cake.

Update: So I now have a suspicion on what the issue with this pipe is. I just decided to aggressively sand this thing to bare wood and start over(Call me stubborn, I won't let this pipe go!). I made a lot of progress, even going past the staining somewhat, and as I run my fingernail across the briar, the texture of the wood is very ... waxy, and it leaves a polished streak. What this tells me is... and let me know if you guys think this diagnosis is accurate or not: This pipe was buffed with some sort of wax/wax like substance which is inappropriate for briar and it terminally gunked the pipe. My question is, if this is the case, and someone used some sort of inappropriate coating, what can I do to purge the briar's pores? (If anything).
Boil it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please!

What you describe sounds like it may have been oil cured, but the step to remove the oil was skipped. Just spitballing here. But boiling it will remove some gunk, hopefully enough. But it may also wreck the stummel, but if you've exhausted all else....

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Does it whistle when you draw on it?

It does not, but the draft hole is on the tight side I would say. I'm not sure how much this matters but the tenon on the replacement stem doesn't go all the way in, so it's a bit short.

Photos, please!

What you describe sounds like it may have been oil cured, but the step to remove the oil was skipped. Just spitballing here. But boiling it will remove some gunk, hopefully enough. But it may also wreck the stummel, but if you've exhausted all else....

Boiling sounds like a good idea. It's safe to boil briar insofar as I dry it a very long time after, right? Also, would I want to keep the stem inside as I only submerge the bowl and part of the shank without getting boiling water onto the stem? I ask because I worry that I will no longer be able to fit the stem in if I let the mortise get boiled on its own.

Last edited:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've read of ebauchons (blocks of briar) being boiled, but have only hope that boiling a carved piece won't warp it or otherwise render it useless.

I'd think that keeping the stem in will lessen the chance of the mortise de-forming.

I hope that someone with experience of this operation will chime in.

s-l1600.jpg

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Sell it for parts? Maybe someone needs a stem? Or maybe you can use the stem on a cob if it fits? Or put it in the fire pit to exorcise the demons!

Status
Not open for further replies.