PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Title edited. Rule 9, please.

Mine was a cob, a gift from my mom when I was just a wee tyke. When The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was re-released in the '50's it apparently had a big influence on me.
In my Senior year of High School I bought my own pipe, a Mastercaft Zulu from a Thrifty drugstore. Niether survived the shifting sands of time.
By then our predominant tobacconist in town, Parker's, had gone out of business and the vacume eventually filled by a few B&M shops and, of course The Tinder Box at our spankin' new mall.
From age 9 to 15 or so, back in the late 60's, my brothers and I and our friends regularly hiked/explored the woods which began behind our house and extended for many miles--past farms, creeks, waterfalls, coal hills, abandoned mines, etc. We always had fun, although sometimes it was a bit like "Lord of the Flies".
There was a country store out there, in the middle of nowhere, which we often visited and where we shoplifted all manner of goods such as corncob pipes, Borkum Riff tobac, firecrackers, candy, and such.
Many a good time spent in secret places by fresh streams, smoking away--after a lunch of canned beans, stolen from mom's pantry and warmed over a fire pit. I guess we were pretty much dirt-poor delinquents!

Reactions: PaulRVA

ckcutler

Lurker
Dec 29, 2021
Michigan
Title edited. Rule 9, please.

Mine was a cob, a gift from my mom when I was just a wee tyke. When The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was re-released in the '50's it apparently had a big influence on me.
In my Senior year of High School I bought my own pipe, a Mastercaft Zulu from a Thrifty drugstore. Niether survived the shifting sands of time.
By then our predominant tobacconist in town, Parker's, had gone out of business and the vacume eventually filled by a few B&M shops and, of course The Tinder Box at our spankin' new mall.
MM Country Gent - first pipe I spent a few $$ on was a Savinelli Canadian :)