PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Not the most handy person but I can do some woodwork. Pathetically my hands lock when working with small objects- spine/cervical- u tell me as my docs cannot.
Anyways- what may I need to restore a pipe that needs some work but not pointless?
I have a Dremel that I am sure needs more toys to make it complete. I have most things but I don't have a lathe and higher end stuff.
The tobacconist down the road restores but I am sure it's crazy pricey which I suspect would kill the point of buying used lest it is a classic.
Thoughts anyone?
I know I am a pipe addict at this point and there's no going back.
Nicotine- I don't think so. There's a charm to it and even my wife has allowed it to happen, lol. I set up my HEPA candles and such. Normally though, I smoke after her bedtime. Too cold in CO this time o' year.
Thanks to you experts. Where would I be?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A dremel? Good golly no. There are lots of good restoration threads on here, and I would say most use very few tools and a lot of patience.

For stems you need generally, oxy clean, magic erasers, micromesh pads, mineral oil, wax, and a lot of pipe cleaners. You may also need some fine grit sandpaper (like 600 grit).

For the bowl I use warm water, Murphy's oil soap, a toothbrush, mineral oil, and wax.

This is assuming the bowl has been cleaned off any cake. If not, you need to ream that out with a reamer or knife. Then you need salt and alcohol. I use an added stem of soaking the bowl with coffee grounds just because.

Pick up a cheap pipe to learn on first. Good luck!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Hi @cosgringo, check this thread out:

I had that exact question and got some great answers and links to rebornpipes, etc :) Plus it’s fairly recent so I feel like it’s current advice.

Currently I’m cash-poor (Christmas, birthdays, etc. this time of year), but I’m buying a couple needle files here, some sandpaper there, etc.

Not meant to “brush you off” with ‘oh just read this old thread’ but rather it was really helpful to me and I thought you might benefit from it too :)

I’ve got a literal box full of pipes that are ‘toss in the garbage’ beaters which I’m going to practice on. If I mess one up it’s no big deal so no stress like “Gotta restore grandad’s Dunhills!”

Good luck to you and ask questions. I know I will be - lol

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Hi @cosgringo, check this thread out:

I had that exact question and got some great answers and links to rebornpipes, etc :) Plus it’s fairly recent so I feel like it’s current advice.

Currently I’m cash-poor (Christmas, birthdays, etc. this time of year), but I’m buying a couple needle files here, some sandpaper there, etc.

Not meant to “brush you off” with ‘oh just read this old thread’ but rather it was really helpful to me and I thought you might benefit from it too :)

I’ve got a literal box full of pipes that are ‘toss in the garbage’ beaters which I’m going to practice on. If I mess one up it’s no big deal so no stress like “Gotta restore grandad’s Dunhills!”

Good luck to you and ask questions. I know I will be - lol
That rocks- thanks buddy! Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Reactions: diamondback

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
A dremel? Good golly no
I agree and disagree. I use a dremel a lot on pipes. Thing is it took about five years and a dozen destroyed pipes to get proficient with it. They are both the handiest tool around and the most unforgiving! If for physical reasons you have to use one feel free. Trouble has been everyone thinks the learning curve will not apply to them. because "I'll be careful."

Reactions: cosgringo

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Been doing it slow and by hand with the basics. I have used booze to flavor it and salt, etc. Polished the heck out of it with a the "spit" mentioned. I need to thank him when I go back through the posts.
I am happy with the $15 pretty old (still figuring that out) named Rossi I came upon and I admit I started using it before I feel it has been perfected. It looks like a different pipe now but still need a lot more love.
Have the fine sanding papers now and other items to take it where it should be. It is odd as the bowl is not 100% straight if you take the time to really look at it. I can't help but think it's cool as I know someone- perhaps imperfect though, really did build this thing up.
Smokes well and it's one of my coolest smokers so far.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Status
Not open for further replies.