What tobaccos to cellar and other obscure tips?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here is the link to Chapter 16 "Chemical Changes during Curing, Aging, and Fermentation" of the book "PHYSIOLOGY AND BIOCHEMISTRY OF TOBACCO PLANTS"
by
T.C.Tso

PLANT SCIENCE RESEARCH DIVISION

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

BELTSVILLE, MARYLAND

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
"One of the things I've wondered about is how Companies like Mac Baren and the late lamented McClelland, could still produce pungent Syrian Latakia blends more than a decade after the last harvest, given that Latakia has a relatively short shelf life. It's not like the last production runs of Vintage Syrian were made from a fresh crop. Something is keeping these stocks from fading."
That's a fascinating question. When I've opened up a fresh tin of blending Latakia (Syrian, back when they had it) from O'Connell, it shows no sign of fading... and I've been fortunate enough to open up some old tins with Syrian as a component where I've only gotten a vague hint of what was, so I'm optimistic that I would know the difference. Same thing with some of the McClelland blends, H&H, etc. where the Syrian wasn't really in question. It pops pretty brightly and noticeably, and then begins to fade
It does make me wonder if they were compressed and stored in actual airtight containers, bags, etc. to retard the aging process in some capacity. "True" anaerobic storage? In any event, I agree with Sable that blenders are somehow able to store tobacco long-term without significant changes to what we perceive as "freshness."

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I think that's what the "Old London" series was all about. I'm not saying G. L. Pease is, in fact, Jack the Ripper, but I've never seen them together.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
If the OP's (Geopiper) head isn't spinning from the newbie nic hit... this thread has done the job in relation to the original question...

Good work Gentlemen

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
What are some strategies to build and rotate the cellar? Should someone buy several tins: one to smoke now, some to smoke later, and some to cellar for a longer period of time?
Yes, this has all been good information.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I was also intrigued by the Armpit. I'm thinking about taping a couple of flakes to my armpits for a night or two to try and make my own stuff. OGS is already halfway there so that ought to work.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
How can one increase their cellar variety? Is it as simple as buying several tins/bags of a previously untasted tobacco and cellaring if you don't like it, or buy more if you do like it?
That's exactly what I do.
How to know what will taste better after being aged? There's hundreds of blends out there: it's unrealistic to buy some it all just to cellar.
You won't know until you do it yourself. I have bought some I've yet to try in bulk simply because it's hard to come by. I figure if I hate it, I can trade it/sell it in the future.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
With regard to packing density for jarring and aging, pack flakes dense enough that you can still pull one without necessarily destroying it. With ribbon cut, pack at a 1:2 ratio, that is 2oz tobacco in a 4oz jar, 4oz tobacco in an 8oz jar, etc. That is a density similar to commercially vacuum tinned tobacco. Leave about 1/4" air space at the top so that the little critters can do their work before they croak out. If you want to retard aging, vacuum seal the jar.
This is what I am conflicted on. I have jarred over the years and stufffed the jars full. I have many tins that are kept well enough but not in the cool dark climate. I am back and forth on jarring all of them and rejarring some newer packed jars to leave some space. Anything that has been jarred for over a year I will leave alone.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sean, I think that the most important thing that anyone can do in regards to enjoying their cellared tobaccos is to not fret about it. Everything that you’ve done sounds fine. If you want to change it up, moving forward, that would be fine, too. Best practices in storing pipe tobacco leave a lot of latitude.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I began buying a tin or two and reordering those I liked by the 3's, one to smoke and two to store.
I soon after realized that I like just about all non-aromatic stuff from reputable producers, so experimentation went mostly by the wayside.
I now have a large-ish cellar 3/4 of which I never have tasted. Some would call it foolish, but I am confident I will be fine.
you have to try at least enough things to get a bearing for your tastes and then determine the level of risk vs. reward that fits your criteria.
If you're finicky, proceed more cautiously. If, like me, your tastes are broad and forgiving, fear not the adventurous acquisition.
I'm not cellaring with an eye towards trade, but I'm confident that, should I actually hate any of the stuff I have, I'll be able to trade it for another blend or coffee or 2x4's or something.
jay-roger.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Sean, I think that the most important thing that anyone can do in regards to enjoying their cellared tobaccos is to not fret about it. Everything that you’ve done sounds fine. If you want to change it up, moving forward, that would be fine, too. Best practices in storing pipe tobacco leave a lot of latitude
Thanks Woods. I have only opened a few 5+ year old tins and have had no problems. I think I’ll leave everything as is but I’ll jar the squar tins. I hear far too many bad things about blown seals over prolonged amount of time. That’s not a chance I’m willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.