PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
I want to clean & refresh some of my pipes w/out paying for refreshing liquid. I've read where non-alcoholic breath freshener (which I have) works. Will this, have any of you tried this, or can you recommend anything else work? Thanks, LeRoy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I use Everclear as high a proof as possible. Soak pipe cleaner, Insert and remove until they come out clean. You don't really refers a pipe, that implies you're leaving some sweet trading substance behind. Instead, you're removing the gunk built up that is causing the pipe to taste bitter.

Now if you're talking about a ghost from crap tobacco, that's another matter altogether. Regardless, I wouldn't be using breath freshener.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
If you can’t find everclear buy denatured Alcohol. Same thing basically and is found everywhere.

Reactions: JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There are 2 problems:

1) Ghost from previous tobacco eg latakia/Balkan blend or aromatic blend + cake
2) Sour, putrid taste from a gunked up shank/mortise and stem

For 1) ream/scrape out cake almost to bare wood. Then flush with hot water, followed by a salt/cotton wool and alcohol soak. Alcohol soak may need to be repeated. I usually leave for minimum 24 hours.

For 2) Examine the shank/mortise with a strong torch. If it is caked with gunk, fastest way to clear the airways is to use a set of small jewellers screwdrivers or drill bits. Once the airway is cleared of gunk, use miniature brushes while flushing with hot water, then lots of alcohol-soaked cleaners and Q-tips.

I prefer to use an alcohol I can drink, so I use a high proof clear peach brandy. Vodka, gin or whisk(e)y is fine. Others swear by Everclear.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
If you have dish soap and warm water, that works well.

I just cleaned a Tom Eltang smooth poker with bamboo using this technique (my only technique, for any pipe). Little rub of mineral oil on the briar immediately after I dried it off and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

I use a shank brush to really get the suds going. Inside the shank and bowl. Never had a ghost, but I guess I'm holier than thou with my methods!

Seriously. It works. Best of luck. Just don't water a vulcanite stem, or it will start growing things...

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
If you have dish soap and warm water, that works well.

I just cleaned a Tom Eltang smooth poker with bamboo using this technique (my only technique, for any pipe). Little rub of mineral oil on the briar immediately after I dried it off and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

I use a shank brush to really get the suds going. Inside the shank and bowl. Never had a ghost, but I guess I'm holier than thou with my methods!

Seriously. It works. Best of luck. Just don't water a vulcanite stem, or it will start growing things...
Why no water for vulcanite? I always rinse the mouth bit (outside) after smoking and dry with paper towel. I have also been washing them when deep cleaning with neutral soap and water.

I use water on all of my pipes, vulcanite and all. I do this every night. I round up the dozen or so pipes I have smoked, rinse them with warm water, ream the bowl with a paper towel, run a pipe cleaner through it and buff it a bit with a towel or polish cloth, and rack them up for a new day.
It also keeps them from smelling like a dirty ashtray.
I've never had a sour pipe. I imagine that would suck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Warm water is o.k., but hot tap water is the bees' knees. (Alcohol can remove some of the properties of briar that makes it near fire proof.)

There's no need for alcohol unless the pipe is badly ghosted.

For at least a century, tobacconists and manufacturers trying to sell alcohol based "sweeteners", "refreshers" have been putting out a lie that water harms briar.