PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve taken a liking to an XL90, which is outside my normal realm of pipes. My collection consists mainly of small, straight billiards. I’m curious to know what you all smoke out of them?

I’m wondering if it would be good for straight VA’s? The chamber is pretty large by my standards, so it definitely wouldn’t be ideal for super strong blends, at least for me. Seems like a big, long smoke would be good with lower nicotine blends. Also, the bowl has nice chunky walls to help with heat, and it seems like a number of straight VA’s can burn warmer than other blends.

Anyway, that’s my logic. Commence shooting it full of holes!

Reactions: anotherbob

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have found when I smoke flakes in larger chambers I need to rub them out really good. I can't get a decent ember with fold and stuff unless the chamber is on the narrower side.
Aside from that, smoke what you want to. The pipe itself doesn't favor one leaf over the other.

Reactions: BROBS and mtwaller

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most should own a large pipe for long contemplative smokes or bowls that are smoked intermittently all day or over two days. You can't always pair a pipe with a blend, and opinion on how to pair leaf and pipe varies widely. For my purposes, big deep broad chambers do special favors for blends with five or six tobaccos, which would include many blends, but examples are SPC Potlatch and PC Midtown series Chestnut. I opine this is a good pairing because it allows more different tobaccos to be fully included in the ember at a time. That's my theory, and it seems to taste true. Another good use of a large pipe is for dry tobaccos that burn fairly quickly, like Five Brothers or Semois. A deeper bowl provides for more leaf and gives a longer smoke. But a large pipe can be used for all or most blends, and I would (and do) certainly enjoy any blend you like and see how it compares to those blends in any other pipes. For other reasons I would also recommend small chamber pipes which have their own good uses. If you own more than five or six pipes, you do well to add a large and a small pipe or three.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I smoke complex English/Balkan blends way more than I smoke VA’s, that’s for sure. I already have 5 or 6 pipes for English blends... but if I do get an XL90, it might just end up being yet another such pipe.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.