PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Like others have said you should try a blend of the different categories. Virginia, VaPer, English/Balkan, Burley and then expand from there.
If you go the route of trying "a" blend from each category, just remember you still may end up liking a category but not the blend you first tried. If I had based burleys off of the pouch of Amphora Original I bought my first month, I'd have walked away from them and missed out on what has become my favorite category.

Also, almost anything you don't care for now can go into a jar for anywhere between months and decades. If you don't like it now, you may in the future? Or you might find you like it aged but not young? Who knows? But a mason jar is cheap insurance, a cheap ante in a future gamble.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second fireground_piper and subsequent posts. Don't try to do this all at ounce. A few blends at a time, in small quantities, an ounce or two, one tin, a pouch. Don't buy a lot of anything for a few years, since your tastes will develop and change hugely over time. What you don't like, jar and try in a year or two. But slow, take this slow. Learn a few blends at a time, thoughtfully.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
So far I have one tobacco, Gawith Hoggarth American coffee and cream. I kinda taste the flavours (oddly after I finish smoking).

My question is, what should I look for when choosing my next tobacco.

any tips would be good, or would I be better buying the sample packs for now?
Try GQ tobaccos on line they sell in 10 gram pouches which is enough for about three bowls. When I restarted I tried quite a few till I began to understand what I liked.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I am exploring myself. I have been buying from tobbacopipes.com, cheap,, great n fast delivery. Recently bought 22 varieties of tobacco for $122.00. All 2 oz bulk (2oz gives enough smokes to know if u like it and able to finish if it's not that great.). You would be surprised how many times u will like something that u didn't like at first. I bought all bulk except 2 more expensive tins. Half English and aros (for around friends n wife). Sutliff and Peter Stokkebye (good English as well) have a bunch of bulk buys 2-5$ an oz. Some are ok some are great. It also let's me know what I like so I can try a pricier one in the same ballpark. Best 122 I ever spent and a boatload of fun smoking different things everyday.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Try GQ tobaccos on line they sell in 10 gram pouches which is enough for about three bowls. When I restarted I tried quite a few till I began to understand what I liked.
I'll second this @Sgetz: GQ is really good for getting smaller quantities or breaking down packs - for example, not having to buy Solani Silver Flake in 100g if you don't know you like it... They'll happily sell you 50g.

Reactions: bayareabriar