What Tinned McClelland Virginias Do You Guys Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Thinking of putting an order in and giving some tinned McClelland Virginias a whirl. My experience is limited with the brand; I think the only two tinned McClelland Virginias that I have tried were the Mature Virginia Navy Cavendish and the Virginia Woods. The Navy Cavendish wasn't bad, the Virginia Woods I didn't really care much for. Any of you guys have a particular favorite series? Mature Virginia? Royal Cajun? 221B Series? Any and all opinions welcomed!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Oh my goodness. They make the good stuff. Blackwoods Flakes is awesome. Christmas Cheer, which comes out each year around August is really quite good too. St. James Flake is great for a touch of perique.
People give frequent nods to 5100 and Dark Star, though I haven't tried them yet.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I love most of them. Favorites include Blackwoods Flake. Navy Cav, #24, #27, St. James Woods, Stave Aged 35, Aurora, Sophisticate, all Christmas Cheer. IMHO, these blends can age a long time to the benefit of the smoker. For instance I have a tin of #27 from 1997 I'm enjoying at present. I wanted to save it until 2017 but, I'm weak.
Mike S.

Jul 15, 2011
Any of you fellows have any experience with the Dominican Glory series? I have a tin of one of them that just hit 12 years in age, but as I recall all the reviews that I read on those was none too favorable.
+1 Mike- my 2001 Christmas cheer is sublime- like smoking cotton candy.
For the record, I fully endorse smoking cotton candy in ones pipe. :mrgreen:

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I havent had a bad one yet.
Tins: Brindle Flake, Deep Hollow, Grey Havens, Dark Star
Bulk: 2000, 2010, 2015, 2020, 5100, 5105
If you can't tell I really like McClelland Virginias

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Check out the tin descriptions from among their Grand Oriental Series.

Quite good; especially Classic Samsun, Smyrna #1, and getting more exotic, Drama Reserve.
This is not to lightly dismiss their regular line of Oriental blends: #1, 6, 8, 12 and 14.

Check out the tin descriptions to find something most agreeable.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Any of you fellows have any experience with the Dominican Glory series? I have a tin of one of them that just hit 12 years in age, but as I recall all the reviews that I read on those was none too favorable.
The Dominican Maduro Glory is one of my favorite Va smokes, I have a tin of the regular one but haven't tried it yet. The Maduro Glory is amazing, it's pressed and matured in cakes and comes as a broken flake, the Dominican Glory comes in a ribbon cut. But Blackwoods flake and St. James woods are both excellent, in fact St. James woods is supposed to be blackwoods with the perique added. Pretty much any tin of McC's Va you need to let breath for a good month before you have a bowl or you'll probably be dissapointed.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
To get this thread back on the topic of McClelland Virginias, I'm going to say that I've actually been more disappointed with some things I had really expected to like. The two big offenders were Rich Virginia Ribbon and No 24. They were fine, but too sweet and acrid, respectively, for me. The only McClelland Virginia I've really liked was Dark Star. I'm also a big fan of an old blend that I'm pretty sure was just repackaged 2015.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Virginia No. 24 is my favorite from McClelland, as well as Dark Star, Tudor Castle and Pebblecut (if you like Oriental and Perique with your Virginia).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I'm enjoying a tin a McClelland Mature Virginia #27 right now, and it is sublime.
If you really want to experiment with McClelland Virginias, the Mature Virginia line is a great place to start.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As if there weren't enough suggestions already ... Beacon Extra - a very nice Va/Per. :puffy:

Funny thing about most of the suggestions is that most aren't straight Virginias, ha ha! Aurora is one that I tend to burn through really fast. It is has a balance of sweet and deeper notes in it. Matured VA #27 is awesome as well, with surprising sweet and bright flavors. Dark Star is a definite "must try" as well. But, honestly, what I did was to order everyone of their straight Virginia blends. Not a one is terrible. But, Aurora really stands out to me with a balanced flavor that I can smoke all day long, everyday. I now have a stock of it that will last me through any apocalypse, ha ha.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
McCelland is known to have the world's best Virginia supply bar none. I like Dark Star (if you cab keep it lit) and Virginia #27.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Some of you are using the term virginia pretty loosely :D
If you live in the states PM me your address and I'll send you some Christmas Cheer 1992.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"To get this thread back on the topic of McClelland Virginias"
"Some of you are using the term virginia pretty loosely"

From the O/P

Navy Cavendish (Matured Virginias) 56 ★★★☆ 2.9 3 Virginia Based
Virginia Woods (Craftsbury Series) 68 ★★★☆ 3.0 5 Aromatic
My suggestion, as I noted was a blend but was in keeping with the O/P which makes sense in this context:
Tudor Castle (Collector Series) 35 ★★★★ 3.9 11 Virginia Based
I only buy one "Straight" Virginia, not a McClelland, but if I were to get a McClelland "Straight" Virginia it would be
Dark Star (Personal Reserve) 196 ★★★★ 3.2 15 Straight Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.