PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Intelligence and education are really completely unrelated, despite the tendency to conflate them. I retired from a career in software development, where intelligence is far more valuable than education. Of the two most brilliant developers I worked with, one had no college degree, and the other had an arts degree. Likewise, the most useless, completely incompetent developer I ever worked with had a degree in Computer Science.

Everyone can be taught, but not everyone can learn or do.

Exactly so.

One-time IT guy here, too, and the best minds in our department (a high tech Fortune 100 company) were "laterals," not the degree accumulation types.

Bottom line: in most sciences, to a large extent, scholastic success can be achieved by memory alone, augmented with a bit of analytical ability.

What CAN'T be taught, but is the foundation of every creatively brilliant thinker, is synthesis. Which is a brain wiring thing.

The "laterals" were almost invariably high IQ examples of the second type.

Which is NOT to say there aren't fields where certifications and "book learning" don't matter. I wouldn't want to fly an airplane or cross a bridge that was designed by a team that DIDN'T understand materials, physics, and etc. by the book. First rate engineering demands both analysis and synthesis.

In short, degrees in programming are a lot like a degree in music performance. No one cares about anything but the sound produced, not the paper qualifications of the person making the sound.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anther lightning strike caught on film.

This time it's the "shrapnel" produced by the tree sap steam-bomb that nearly takes someone out.

Yikes:

• Wow
Reactions: Briar Tuck and Zero