PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
:lol: -I confess ... I like cheap beer.
I like a good beer like anyone else, and I tend to be more selective when I'm having company over. But when it's just for me (yeah, I know, drinking alone is bad, but I'm mostly a happy drunk in these cases), I'm not too picky.
The beer in question is Icehouse. It's no elixir of life, but it's perfectly drinkable when very cold, it goes well with a good burley, and it's always packed a punch at 5.5% ABV.
Anywho, I just finished number two, and was thinking to myself, "Damn, I'm getting to be a lightweight; this beer is kicking my ass!" I was about to pop number three open when I noticed a red strip over the top of the logo ... "6.9% ALC/VOL."
For crying out loud, why don't they tell us these things? :lol: I never got any warning from Miller about this change. Now we're getting into malt liquor territory. I may have to log out and not post this evening. Jeez ... and I was just complaining not long ago about Jack Daniels dialing down from 86 to 80 proof.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
6.9% that's not bad! More bang for your buck as far as I'm concerned :lol:
I'm a huge craft beer nut so I have to be careful to watch those labels. It's not uncommon for me to grab a stout and find it's up near 9%

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ask not what the hell they did to your beer, but what the hell your beer did to you! I feel ya, man. I love IPA's, but on a hot, sweaty day with lots of work on the house going on, they'll put my dick in my watch pocket for me if I'm not careful.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Number three and (*gasp!*) number four down. Burning a bowl from the "Franken-blend" jar may have slowed things down to sanity. This is a state I generally reserve for 11PM on Friday or Saturday, not 9PM on a Wednesday night. :lol: Now I'm sipping from a glass of iced coffee.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
ophiuchus, after a long hot day, nothing satisfies more than easy drinking low alcohol content beer. It's like a carbonated lemonade. If I want to get serious I've got plenty of top shelf IPA's BUT an easy drinking beer has its place. As an example.....when I go to my local Green Bay Packer bar here in Las Vegas (RumRunner) I drink Miller 64. I can drink about 10 (2 buckets) while churning through 3 bowls and have a great time.
Now tonight I'm drinking an Old Fashioned that has some chili's in the mix.
Different days, different libations.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Throw your car keys in a drawer and relax. A good buzz is a rare and beautiful thing. To me, some inexpensive (cheap) beer is better than many artisanal brews.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
For those of you lucky enough to live where it is distributed, Bells Hopslam is available this week!
Expensive, but so, so worth it.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Anything drunk in this state under 6-7% is a weak beer. 5% is considered "session", 8-10 is the most common. I have a beer currently on the shelf that's 28%.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
And yes, they are targeting. The big companies are losing ground to the craft breweries which is why they've been buying them up to get their profits. Sounds like you had a Miller Fortune brew. That beer was targeted for drinkers 21-27 years old. Or maybe an Icehouse? They increased that abv as well by freezing water like they do in malt liquor, but by only removing 0.5% of mass, it can still be beer since it's not a liquor. What were you drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.