PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I've tried smoking epiphany twice but each time it gave me a nasty case of heartburn because it's heavy on latakia. I've read some people react this way to latakia. What should I mix with it to take off the latakia edge?

Dec 24, 2012
Truth be told, Epiphany is one of the lightest English blends I have ever smoked. The amount of Latakia is truly on the light side. It may be that English blends are simply not for you.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Carter Hall or any of the Codger blends are great for mixing if a certain blend is to strong.

~Ron

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I"m not sure it's the latakia that you're reacting to. There are several components to Epiphany, including a topping, so it's kind of premature to assume it's the latakia. Also, as has already been pointed out, Epiphany is VERY light on the latakia. So light, in fact, that I can't in good conscience describe it as an English blend of any sort (I call it a traditional American burley blend). It contains primarily burleys, plus some VA, some perique, and some latakia.

If you need to mix it with something, I'd suggest Carter Hall.

But, in all seriousness, I'd also sample some blends that actually have an appreciable amount of latakia before assuming that's the problem. Try some Frog Morton, for instance -- that's a very mild blend that people who are just now starting to experiment with English blends tend to like a lot.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been smoking and what blends have you tried? Ever had heartburn with any particular blends before?

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I've been smoking for about a year after 10 years of not smoking. Prior to that I smoked a pipe on and off since 1992. No other blend has ever given me heartburn before.

Status
Not open for further replies.