What pipe or tobacco do you suggest for a 102 year old newbie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
My Aunt just turned 102 years old two days ago.She still smokes a pack of cigarettes a day without filters,sometimes less,and has had this habit since she was a young girl.

I'm concerned about her smoking because she inhales quite deeply.

I know this because when she takes a puff,the smoke still keeps coming out of her mouth for a good 7 or 8 seconds while she talks.
Is there any special pipes or tobaccos out there that might be well suited for teaching an old dog new tricks? She is open for a try but I think the nicotine content would have to be very high to keep her content.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
102? Bless her. If she's a real inhaler I'd still be careful about the blend you pick for her. I think something from Rattray or Mc Clelland would give a good dose of Vitamin N.

Make sure you post her on the Pipe Babes page too. I'll bet she's a hoot to be around.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Its very comendable that you are concerned about your aunts health. I am going to say that if she made it to 102 let here smoke she got more out of life than most people would ever dream of! As far as a starter tobbacco if she has smoked that long nothing will be to strong just watch the stuff that bites.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Hahahaha, dude for real. Hell if she is 102 she is on the right track, changing now might be a bad thing. Good on her thou give her a hug and kiss from me.
Wade

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
sounds like a lucky strike girl. with that being said, perhaps some red cap.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
At 102 I wouldn't worry too much. She has done well and sounds like she is still doing great. I had a great aunt who smoked her pipe until she was 97. I swear it was when they took it away that , that is what killed her .

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Could be a case of "If its not broke,why fix it".
I'm starting to feel a bit(q wheezy)like leaving well enough alone.Who knows what could happen if her nicotine "blood balance" were upset now.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
102 ??!!! Please leave her alone! This girl has created a delicate balance that must not be disturbed...!!!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I pretty much agree with the last couple of posters, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if she wants to give pipe smoking a whirl, then more power to her. I think something OTC may be the best way to go. If she doesn't like it, then she can carry on with the cigs.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Can't argue with what's been said.
If you take it away at this stage of the game (or even substitute it for something else) it usually does more harm than good. A number of valuable lesson's can be learned from this very obviously venerable lady.
Long may she continue to enjoy tobacco, whatever way she pleases.
If you have the time Ernest, I'd like to hear about your Auntie's memories about smoking.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
At 102 shes earned the right to do,and smoke, any thing she wants! I would be afraid to mess with her!

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
excav8tor said-"If you have the time Ernest, I'd like to hear about your Auntie's memories about smoking."
I do not recall many conversations about her memories of smoking in the past other then she had started smoking as a young girl,with another girl friend,and how the cost for them has climbed over the years.
I have 9 brothers and sisters and the thing that stands out most about her,for us,is the fact that she has never been married or even lived with another man.
Also she has cured all her ailments from out of her garden and never been to a doctor.

She has so many friends because she is such a sweet old Lady,and if you were a cigarette smoker she would always see you out the door giving you a fresh pack of smokes.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
"What pipe or tobacco do you suggest for a 102 year old newbie?"
One that doesn't take too long to smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.