What Oddities/Attributes do You Look for in a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
I like the heel of my thumb to be able to rest on the back of the bowl and the side of the shank simultaneously. Does that make sense? I prefer shapes without a straight transition.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Over $30 I get pretty damned hard to sell.

My last $25 Briarlee, not arrived yet.

7454B0FE-B2C5-4171-9513-180491EE8B30.pngEF3ECD85-DA6D-4777-8254-FE0061E65627.png

Why?

I spent more yesterday on supper.

Briarlee pipes have a great reputation with me as having Lee’s highest and best grade briar, which didn’t quite make 4 or 5 star grade Lee stamped pipes due to tiny flaws.

And, is that a Dublin or a Zulu?

I win either way, for $25.:)

Reactions: kcghost

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
In general, my current dealbreaker requirements are… No filter pipes. NO P-LIPS!! No vulcanite stems.

Prefer blast, rusticated, coral, etc (stimulation for my fingers, protection against dings).

Reactions: cornedbeef

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I want the bowl diameter to be at least .75 and although I do own several pipes with acrylic stems these days I’m only really interested in pipes with vulcanite/ebonite stems.
Apparently I am incapable of making good decisions- I bought a Stanwell Royal Guard Pot last night with very nice grain and …an acrylic stem.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tell me about it. Bought a Dunhill bulldog last year for cheap, it's perfect other than the fact that the bottom flat side with stampings weren't really flat, so it wouldn't sit. It bothered me too damn much I sanded it down, effacing all stampings on it. That's one way to get rid of any resell value lol. Now it sits like a champ and smokes like heaven. Before and after:
View attachment 99757
Was it sold as a sitter?

You've just destroyed the resale value, which matters little if you keep it forever or just don't care.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Generally, I look to make sure it will hold tobacco, I like the feel in my hand & overall appearance. I don't get much fancier than that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like long and lean, but a bit chubby in the right areas. 6-7 inches is about right, and smooth inside and out the airway, but it doesn't need to be polished and completely smooth.