PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
So I have found myself in a situation where I need to decide which tin to open next. I have been buying tobaccos for a couple of years now and everytime I buy a tin, I pack some into a small mason jar and smoke the rest. I have been cellaring all kinds of virginias, va/pers, and latakia blends. My delima now is, do I go back and open a jar of something that I stored early? I know I have some FMOTT and Nightcap, as well as some Escudo and the like that have been sealed for over 2 years. Or do I open a new tin some something I haven't tried, and continue my smoke some, store some routine? Of the tins I haven't yet tried, I have origninal Frog Morton, Dunhill MM965, Peterson Balkan Delight, and Squadron leader. Which of those would you reccomend going to next? Or should I go back and sample a cellared blend? Just something I have been pondering. I appreciate any feedback.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Ultimately, the only rule I would recommend is to just have fun. So maybe that means trying something you've never had before or perhaps comparing a blend that has a couple years on it to something you've had fresh. You can't go wrong either way I suppose.
I personally love trying new blends and constantly have 12+ jars or so that I choose from at any one time. Some days I feel like an english blend, other days a burley, the next a virginia...variety is good! Last night I had some Dunhill Deluxe Navy Roll coins that have been jarred up for a year or so and it was excellent. Tonight...maybe I'll go with some Mac Baren London Burley or something.
I wouldn't over think things. Life is good.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@rosmey, I began doing the same thing when I first picked up the pipe: smoke half and cellar half. I liked that system because I have a nice sample to work with later down the road, but those little jars began to accumulate fast. I started cellaring bigger jars and like you have thought about popping open year old mini-jars of 1Q, Ruins of Isengard, FM, etc. luckily I have plenty of new stuff to work with so I leave them be. All 24 of them.
I should go through them an either smoke or dump the stuff I know I won't be getting more of as my tastes have changed. Leave the Virginias, take the Aros.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I think I'm going to pop a new one open. Which one should it be? FM, Squadron leader, MM965, or Balkan delight?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Squadron Leader. Only because I don't like the frogs and I've never had the other two. And squadron leader has a really great old shoe smell in the tin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All of them have been favorably mentioned on Forums. I'd go for the MM965. It's a classic and one of the most

enjoyed blends sold. Not everyone likes it, but among those who do, it is often a long-time everyday smoke.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
+1 on the MM965...but the FM sounds good too... so hard to decide. I feel your pain.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Were it me, I would take a test flight with the Squadron leader. It's a fine blend and you won't regret it. 965 is pretty stellar as well, you can't go wrong with either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.