PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Aging will do it, as well as heat and pressure. I personally do a "wet toast" (in a pressure sealed container so it doesn't dry the tobacco; left vs. right, toasted) at 140°C. In fact I'm doing another round today. My understanding is that in the case of brown flake, a bright and lemon Virginia flake is heat-pressed.
View attachment 79877
I think it's awesome you've taken it upon yourself to do all this experimenting! i bet you gt s lot of interesting results.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I think it's awesome you've taken it upon yourself to do all this experimenting! i bet you gt s lot of interesting results.
Absolutely fun! Once you go down that road there's no looking back. The blending tobaccos sold by most of the major manufacturers are, in most cases, the absolute cheapest and lowest-quality leaf they have. It's garbage compared to the quality of tobacco that you strip and shred yourself. I'm sure there has to be bad whole leaf out there somewhere but I've never had it.

Of course you have to be honest with yourself. There are some trials that end up in the garbage. But on average I think approximately 80% of my whole leaf experiments are great--not mediocre, but great. I'd say that my trials with store-bought blending leaf yielded a "passable" smoking mixture maybe 10% and the rest was unsmokable garbage.

One interesting thing, though, is that it's very labor intensive. You couldn't possibly go into business selling sui generis tobacco mixtures without the proper equipment.

Here's my process for Virginia cut plug, which is my base for many blends.
IMG_20210513_200547.jpg

IMG_20210513_204244.jpg

IMG_20210514_081731.jpg

IMG_20210514_204249.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210513_200547.jpg
    IMG_20210513_200547.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.