PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Hi,

I've smoked traditional SG and Germains versions for years but this morning tried G&H brown Flake u/s for the first time. I was struck by the noticeable dark fired note, both on my hands after rubbing it out and in the smoke. Which got me wondering what defines a brown Flake?

Is it the ageing and subsequent richness or the relative lack of bright zesty Virginia or is it merely a tradition of naming a certain blend to differentiate it from others?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Aging will do it, as well as heat and pressure. I personally do a "wet toast" (in a pressure sealed container so it doesn't dry the tobacco; left vs. right, toasted) at 140°C. In fact I'm doing another round today. My understanding is that in the case of brown flake, a bright and lemon Virginia flake is heat-pressed.
IMG_20210508_145323.jpg

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
Just a heads up, for brown flake u/s. Absolutely great stuff. But, if you have a pipe that absolutely sings with all of your Va/Per/DFKs, like Scottish Flake, HoTW, old Gowrie, penny farthing, etc, and you think the U/S might not ghost it, you could be very mistaken. I now have a pipe that has a very special super power...it takes my absolute favorite-st tobaccos and makes them taste like horse apples.

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Thanks for the replies.

That makes sense. Longer in the steam jacket press.

I'd wrongly presumed it to indicate something about the constituents, I.e. a trad name for a vabur flake, in contrast to a straight virginia flake

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a few brown flakes that are straight up Virginia flakes and no burley or Kentucky. Blends like Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Astleys no 44 Dark Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake,. All of the flakes I mentioned are from 2012 or 2013 and earlier. I have no idea what they are made with now.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a few brown flakes that are straight up Virginia flakes and no burley or Kentucky. Blends like Wessex Brown Virginia Flake, Astleys no 44 Dark Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake,. All of the flakes I mentioned are from 2012 or 2013 and earlier. I have no idea what they are made with now.
Harris,

I have the answer to your question, straight from a reliable source:
BygYnu8IYAA4-FU.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How does that age, Sable? I've been thinking about getting some more for the cellar but was wondering if long term aging made much of a difference?
The flavors deepen nicely. There’s a nice bit of sweetness that develops and something resembling a chocolate malted. It’s my favorite brown flake.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The flavors deepen nicely. There’s a nice bit of sweetness that develops and something resembling a chocolate malted. It’s my favorite brown flake.
Sounds nice. I've got 3 pouches in the cellar that are a couple of years old but I'll definitely add some more.
It's my favourite brown flake as well, lovely stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.