PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
OK, don't laugh. this is a serious question for me! 1st off I know they have Virginias in it but, most baccys have some in it to a certain degree. So when someone says they like va's what exactly are they saying they like or want? If you can please try to explain this to me. Give a few samples of va tobacco by the way not really new to pipes, but I just don't get this. I always thaught my kids theres no such thing as a dumd question, I'm finally taking my own advise. thank you greatly if you can put this into words a simpleton "ME" can understand.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
As you say, many blends have a foundation of Va. - English mixtures being a classic example.
However, when folks refer to just a Va., they mean a blend of Virginia leaf used straight without mixing with other tobacco's; may be a single strain or may be a blend of leaves from different strains (red, yellow etc.) or locations. Va. does not all come from Virginia USA - in fact most now doesn't - but other states or other countries.
There can be condimental additions, some stated, some not; the addition of Perique makes it a Va/Per. but sometimes trace elements of oriental tobacco can be added whilst still maintaining a pure Va. profile.
Can be flake, broken flake, plug, twist, ready rubbed or ribbon cut but the essence is - stright Virginia tobacco rather than a mixture.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
THANK YOU SO MUCH jimbo44 this has bothered me for so long not really knowing. truly thanks I've printed your response and its hanging next to my desk that's how serious I was thanks a million james/scrooge

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
You asked for examples - they are legion; just a few:
GL Pease Union Square

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake and Full Virginia Flake

McClelland Christmas Cheer, BlackWoods Flake, Matured Virginia No.25 and No. 27 (and many more)

Dunhill Flake

Cornell & Diehl Opening Night

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a good clarification of what many of us thought we knew but had never heard/seen stated. Thanks.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I find English blends confusing. Some have Perique or Burley or Black Cavandish in some combination. I don't remember: do all have Virginia? The only clear constant seems to be Latakia (and Virginia?).

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
A "Virginia" tobacco is known in the non pipe smoking world as a "Flue Cured" tobacco. To be classified as a Virginia, the tobacco cultivar must have a high sucrosester content (sugar). Once the leaves are harvested they are subject to high heat. This kills the enzymes in the leaf that would normally consume the sugars. The sugars in the leaf as they are burned, lower the pH of the smoke. The lower pH results in a smoother smoke. It also reduces the nicotine that is absorb through the mouth and contribute to the tongue bite often associated with a Virginia.
Orientals also have a fair amount of sugars in them, though not as much as a Virginia. The purpose of sun curing an Oriental serves the same purpose as flue curing. It sets the sugars in the leaf.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've heard 1792 referred to as a VA, and that Haddos and Cumberland are also a VAs. But Haddos has perique and Cumberland that and Dark-Fired. So to me calling tobacco a VA can mean straight VA, VAs with a condimental presence of some other tobacco or, like Haddos, that it is topped, or like Cumberland that is perhaps not more than 70% VA, a VA-driven tobacco. But getting back to 1792, some play fast and loose with their tobacco component attributions. Don't really know the tobacco is, call it a VA. Doesn't taste like burley, latakia, perique, dark-fired or oriental, call it a VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.