108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
If you offered me the perfect pipe and then said it's for 5$, I probably would pass because it's too cheap to possibly be any good.

Thinking like that might make you miss out... It also might cause the guy trying to sell you a pipe to charge you more. If price sets value, then the more something cost the more likely you are to by it.. I'd hate to be in that box.

one of my favorite pipes 4.99 ( its not even a cob) :

download.jpeg-2.jpg

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Thinking like that might make you miss out... It also might cause the guy trying to sell you a pipe to charge you more. If price sets value, then the more something cost the more likely you are to by it.. I'd hate to be in that box.

one of my favorite pipes 4.99 ( its not even a cob) :

View attachment 36604

I was kinda being ironic. :) I have a couple of MM, Swinks and other basket pipes in my rotations.

But there is some truth to you get what you pay for when it comes to tools, and pipes are a tool.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Reverse-engineer this question. What makes a horrible, unsmokeable pipe? Let's build a pipe and drill the stem at 1/16" all the way through. Not only would you never be able to get a pipecleaner (maybe a paperclip) through, but the thing would gurgle incessantly, any tiny bit of moisture would totally occlude the airway. And you'd have to suck and suck and suck just to keep the thing barely burning. That would be .... a bad pipe. These things exist, I have previously posted pictures and exposition on this. IMG_0279b.jpg If you think the miniscule andvery rough slot on the right is going to offer the same smoking experience as the slot on the left which is deep, smooth, and actually big enough to put a pipe cleaner in, you are weird. Never mind the discomfort of all the sharp edges on the stem on the right.

So I mean, my hypothetical example of a pipe built intentionally badly is probably not that hypothetical in the first place, and even if it is, there's lots of ways pipes can be poor - bad tasting bowl coatings or dip stain in the chamber makes for a long, arduous break in. Uncomfortable stems are easy to find. Pipes where the drilling is pretty badly lined up make it tough to pass a cleaner through if you need, and certainly don't help with the smoking.

Pipes that are carefully made, reasonably carefully, smoke better than pipes that are not. Luckily, lots of pipes are reasonably carefully made - most Savinellis are entirely adequate in my experience, just as one example.

I have pipes on hand where the stem is thicker than 5mm, and I have pipes on hand where the stem is more like 3.5 mm. To the teeth and tongue, that's a mile. 5mm feels like a garden hose to me.

I won't argue with the people here who say "a pipe is a pipe". It's nonsense, provable by changing physical variables inside a pipe until it simply won't work anymore. People who are insensate to the difference between how briar and corncobs smoke, for example, mystify me. I find the experience entirely different. And that tells me that we are doing something very different, and our expectations are very different. It's not right or wrong, but certain people smoke a certain way and care about certain things, others move in different directions.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A great pipe will practically smoke itself. It will never need a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture. It will smoke cool it will be well balanced. It will make your tobacco taste great as the burning properties of the pipe are all in line. Wall thickness check, bowl height to chamber depth check inside bowl width check length of pipe check shank dimension check drilling perfect check, smoothed out shank and stem so no turbulence check button that fits teeth perfect check. Shape and blast and stain that are pleasing to the eye check. If i get all these things in a single pipe then that is what I call a great pipe.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
As it was already said it is completely subjective and there is no size which fits it all.
Said that for me what I am looking as first thing is the smoking characteristics which for me has to be neutral (no flavor imparted by the pipe) cool and dry which is why I bend more as materials toward meer, morta (and cob) and much less on briar and other woods and on a perfectly drilled pipe.
Second I tend toward medium to small sized as I generally smoke plugs, twists, and flakes for an about 1 hour session and this is the best size for that.
Third I prefer wide and shallow bowls for complex mixtures and more tall bowls for simple virginia or aromatics.
Fourth one I always go for artisans and not mass produced one as I like the idea of having an artisan behind the pipe and to be supported.
Last one is aesthetic, not to say it is not important (and as buying artisans ones by definition there is always a look at aesthetics) but I am not overpaying just only for the aestetic part, at the end it is an instrument to be used and if it is too expensive I would not use for fear of damaging itthere would be no point to purchase it to start.

Reactions: Admiral Byrd

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
A good pipe is one worthy of saying, "...And put that in your pipe and smoke it!". Anything else is a bad pipe. Also, if you have nicer pipes I could not afford, your pipes are bad too. However, if you sell me one of your nicer pipes, they become great once I own them.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A good pipe looks good, will effortlessly pass a pipe cleaner, has a stem that is wide and thin so it is easy to clinch, has an easy, open draw, smokes cool and dry and has good balance in the hand l