PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Receiving this little bit of PAD/TAD on my doorstep this afternoon as I was heading out the door for the procedure... and then enjoying a nice dinner after being released from the hospital followed by a tasty bowl of the FM Cellar.
eDe0onQ.jpg

In Addition to the FM Cellar, also purchased some On the Town and some Across the Pond. Many of you have been raving about Frog Morton blends and, based on my first bowl, I'm prepared to become a believer. The FM Cellar is delicious (Thanks Roth for your review). The new pipe is a Sav pocket-sized rusticated bent apple. Going to start breaking that little honey in tomorrow.
Oh, and for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure, a colonoscopy requires two days of fasting (clear liquids only) and the consumption of 4 litres of a truly vile laxative concoction to clear you out so the doc can slide a camera up your butt to have good a look see.
In my part of the world the procedure is recommended when you hit 50. While crossing that Rubicon has mostly been positive for me, I can see there are definitely some indignities that come with the many benefits of age.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great pipe. Good tobacco. On a silver tray. Life has its consolations!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Funny that. I said to my wife earlier today that if this is the worst thing to happen to me so far this year. life is pretty darn good. I know lots of folks are truly hurting. What I experienced over the last couple of days was mild discomfort... and to your point Weez, lot's of blowing out :rofl:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm 30 years old and I've had 4 colonoscopies and 2 endoscopes! I had a couple of major intestinal surgeries a couple years ago, and had complications. I actually had 2 colonoscopies and 2 endoscopes in the same week! Now that was not fun! I wish I'd had a nice little PAD/TAD waiting on me when I got done, nice little haul you got there!

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
My understanding is that they only reward you with a nice pipe and some tobacco after your first. Don't get to thinking that you'll be rewarded like this the next time.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Call me crazy but I did not mind the prep. Time in my favorite room with lots of magazines. My neighbor is a colirectal surgeon who did the procedure. That way I could crawl to his house if he screwed up. I'm due for another go so I need to schedule an appointment. Nothing to fear but absolutely necessary for those of us at a certain age.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@ rockymtnsmoker, Yeah it was the worst year of my life! I was in the hospital about half a dozen times that year for extended stays! I actually had to do another stint, for a week or so, about a year ago. Apparently, the part of my intestine that was removed,the second time, was a crucial part involved with absorbing the iron and B-12 needed to make blood! I ended up having to have 4 blood transfusions and massive doses of iron, B-12 and potassium. I still get a little light headed every now and then, if I've forgotten to take my iron pills for a couple of days. I just had a physical yesterday, still waiting on my blood test results, so we'll see if I'm running low again or not. For now, I'm doing fine and I appreciate the concern, hope all your results are fine as well!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thanks Petes. Good reminder for all of us (and I'll point the big finger at me) that when things aren't going our way we don't have to look too far to see someone who is having a much rougher go. Even better if we can to reach out a helping hand.
Papipeguy. definitely nothing to fear and the alternative (them not having the chance to spot a malignant growth or some other nasty little dude) is far worse than a little discomfort. For me, though, I spent enough time in the little reading room over the last couple of days to last me for a while.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I've heard that you can take a pill or pills as an alternative to the liquid.
Is this true? I dread going for this thing...

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
:rofl: exactly what I said to the doc as he was prepping me... now is not the time to save the system a buck by scrimping on the lube...
Boudreaux, no pill was offered. And like I said, at the end of the day it was mild discomfort. If it will literally save my ass, I'll do what I need to do. Similarly, I'm no big fan of the old' 'digital prostate exam' but the alternative is even less appealing. That said, I'm sure happy my GP has small hands and slender fingers :lol:

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Just had the "Old 'digital prostate exam' this week. Funzies.
Here in old Tennessee, we call the juice you consume Colon Blow. Not for nothing.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I can attest to the fact that while the prep is no fun, the procedure is necessary. It saved my life. I should have had one at age 50. I waited until age 59 and paid the price. The doctors found that I had Stage 2 Colon Cancer. Six weeks of Chemo and Radiation, followed by the re-section surgery was way, way, way, way worse than having a simple Colonoscopy. I lost 30 pounds over the course of the year and it took quite a while to recover. The Cancer was caught early and I am now Cancer free. The Colonoscopy saved my life. If I had gotten one at age 50 and again at age 55, the doctors say they probably would have just snipped a pre-cancerous polyp or two and that would have been the end of it.
So, without trying to sound preachy, if you are 50 or older and have not had s colon screening, get one. I'd get one every week for the rest of my life not to go through what I went through to get rid of the Cancer.
Best,
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I can attest to the fact that while the prep is no fun, the procedure is necessary. It saved my life. I should have had one at age 50. I waited until age 59 and paid the price. The doctors found that I had Stage 2 Colon Cancer. Six weeks of Chemo and Radiation, followed by the re-section surgery was way, way, way, way worse than having a simple Colonoscopy. I lost 30 pounds over the course of the year and it took quite a while to recover. The Cancer was caught early and I am now Cancer free. The Colonoscopy saved my life. If I had gotten one at age 50 and again at age 55, the doctors say they probably would have just snipped a pre-cancerous polyp or two and that would have been the end of it.
So, without trying to sound preachy, if you are 50 or older and have not had s colon screening, get one. I'd get one every week for the rest of my life not to go through what I went through to get rid of the Cancer.
Best,
Pipestud

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Wow pipestud that is a a cautionary tale indeed. I floated this thread tongue in cheek (yikes) but as it progressed I realized it falls into that category of things guys don't generally want to talk about, but should. The bulletproof tough guy image that so many of us adhere to can be our undoing. Glad things worked out for you and thanks for sharing your story. I had a polyp removed as part of the process. Let's hope the discussion encourages guys who may have been avoiding a colonoscopy (or prostate) test to suck it up (and perhaps blow it out) and get it checked out ASAP :)

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Actually, it occurs to me that if Kevin is ever looking for PSA type content for the site or a cause to get behind (yikes again) corporately that prostate and/or colon cancer are probably a good fit with his demographic.

Status
Not open for further replies.