What Kind Of Tobacco You Guys Recomend To Start Buying.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I have a small cellar of tobaccos and I want to start getting more tins and pouches, but there are so many blends that I feel like I am going in blind, when I buy tobacco I do it hoping that i will like it, you guys are more experienced than me, what should i have in my cellar, and what tins should I get before they stop producing them.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Lemme see... for starters Russ Ouellette's Marquee series.., ALL of them, especially Black House. ALL of G L Pease's works since 2007... my favorites are Lagonda, Sixpence, Quiet Nights, Cairo(older blend), Gaslight, Haddo's Delight, and others. Then which genres of tobaccos do you like best? Stockpile THEM especially!! I sure the other guys and gals here will have GREAT ideas and suggestions as well! Good luck on Your Quest!

jerry

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Some tobaccos develop, some just 'keep' and some will lose their punch with time.

Most of it will remain eminently smokeable for years.

The aros are the ones said to lose their flavor.

The VA's change theirs.

The burly's maintain.

I have yet to smoke Solani Aged Burly Flake, so, there's that.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I would suggest getting some GL Pease Navigator - you won't regret it. It's my favorite post 2007 blend and I can't believe it's eventually going to be gone!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
You have some time to figure out what you want to stock-up on. I would bet $$$ the deeming date will change and be advanced to a date in 2016, but if I were convinced that the 2007 date will stand, you could probably make some decent $$$ stocking-up on the GLP blends suggested. Spend some time on Tobacco Reviews and look up threads here like: "What are your top five blends?" for blends to try out. As noted, this thread alone has many good suggestions.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
If you want to stock up on post-2007 blends just in case, I share jack's view that TobaccoReviews.com is an excellent place to start. All of my favorite blends are rated around 3.5 or higher there, so in my experience, even though tobacco preference is somewhat subjective, the reviews on that site are a great guide. Any blend with a lot of reviews and a high rating, you should be able to easily re-sell / trade if you don't like it.
However, I will say that if you have to ask what tobaccos to stock up on, you have not yet developed your preferences enough to begin stocking up (unless of course, you just want to secure the popular post-2007 blends to try). I've been smoking occasionally for several years, and have taken the pipe up full time (daily, or almost daily) over the past six months or year, and my tastes are still changing, though I am beginning to settle on a few favorites. I absolutely love Gourment English from Iwan Reis for an excellent mild English blend, and I like Dunhill Flake for a Virginia. However, these are both pre-2007 blends as I understand, so should not be affected by the deeming laws.
Of course, its your money and your cellar, so your mileage may vary.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I have wondered about gas light, r says it ages well, what other tobaccos age well with time, some of you gentlemen have jars and tins that are older than me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It won't do any good to stock up on blends you don't enjoy a lot, nor those you like now but won't like as well later. You can't know that, so you have to make good guesses. I supposed it's most urgent to buy blends introduced since 2007, but it is also probably prudent to lay in any blends you like because of potential price and tax increases. Prices could go up when retailers have to maintain profits without the newer blends they'll lose. But what to buy depends entirely on what you like and think you'll continue to like. My recommendations would go on too long, but would include PC Fire Storm, an array of your favorites from Cornell & Diehl, McClelland, Mac Baren, and Seattle Pipe Club. Remember, Virginia leaf and blends will actually improve over time; burley will remain good; aromatics will fade, as will Latakia, so keep that in mind buying blends you will be keeping sealed in tins or in sealed jars over time, if you buy them in quantity. Essentially, you have to make your own picks, even if you try different blends based on recommendations. For sampling buy small quantities.

Dec 24, 2012
I would suggest a well stocked cellar full of at least 100lbs of Middleton Cherry; that shit will be worth its wight in gold in 10 years, or so cigrmaster tells me.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would suggest a well stocked cellar full of at least 100lbs of Middleton Cherry; that shit will be worth its wight in gold in 10 years, or so cigrmaster tells me.
:rofl:
I think the last time I saw a post of this sort, it was cigrmaster asking the same question. I couldn't find a single tin of Wessex Campaign Dark Flake or Capstan Flake Blue for a couple months after that thread.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
this is what I keep in stock, think its a well rounded variety and covers all the bases. I occasionally pick up a stray tin or 1oz sample, but these are always on hand
H&H Marquee series

All the Dunhill blends

East India Trading Co. Royal Challenge

Captain Black

Carter Hall

C&D Black Frigate, Blockade Runner and Buffalo Soldier

All the Fro Morton's

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Keep your mitts off the Mixture 79. It's mine, all mine! LOL! :crazy:
(Reverse puh-sy-call-o-gee!!!) :nana:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lots of good suggestions here. The best are to not rush because there is still time, figure out what you like, and more of that while trying out some variants.
And, that Middleton Cherry is going to be worth thousands of $$$$ per gram before you can blink twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.