What Kind Of Adhesive is Used For Stem (Plastic to Silver) ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
What type of adhesive is used to glue a stem onto a silver ring then onto a plastic tube to complete/assemble the stem ?

My Barontini 1/2 spigot pipe smokes hot no matter how slow one smokes. It has two hot spots on either side and the shellac started to bubble and peel off. I stripped the top 1/2 of the pipe and oiled and waxed it. Today smoking some cherry cavendish it got hot. When done and dumped I went to remove the spigot stem to toss the filter except the stem top came off leaving a tube in the shank with the silver ring on it. Apparently it appears to have been shellacked onto the tube and ring. It looks like the old fashioned kids brownish glue that came in a plastic bottle with the orange slanted top with the slit in it, if ... you are old enough to remember that.
I could not remove the tube and didn't want to break it. I let it cool down and now have it in the freezer for a few minutes.
When it comes to re-gluing or binding the two part stem and ring back together what adhesive would you recommend ? It won't be on anything going into the mouth and won't be in the air flow stream but I would prefer safer than than carcinogenic. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

This was the most expensive pipe I have purchased and turns out to be not as good as my least expensive pipes or actually any of my pipes. Live and learn.

1662751429815.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The bubbling finish means the people who made the pipe cared about it only until the point of sale.

Bondo on the fenders, sawdust in the differential, and cash only, please.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 3.21.18 PM.png

Reactions: Papamique

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Wowsers. Get ready for the user error posts. Sounds like a lemon all around. I think some brair is just cursed.
"Get ready for the user error posts" - ??? I didn't use it wrong and its my seventeenth pipe....some are still being used over 40 yrs later.

"Sounds like a lemon all around" --- Not quite --- hand made but I suspect for another brand. Its just finicky like my Butz-Choquin Fait Main which also has thin walls.

Any glue suggestions or are you the on call critique tonight ?hahau🤣

Reactions: anotherbob

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I checked out the seller with two experts on the forum before purchase. The brand is well known.

I wasn't referring to the seller but the maker.

How well known the brand is means nothing after the fact. A physical object is what it is.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Every time I’m at the store I buy a little dollar sized tube of generic super glue.

2DFBE82A-1047-4612-949E-06F41777E0D4.jpeg
There are things super glue won’t fix, but not many.

Duct tape and baling wire is a poor application for pipes.:)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
"Get ready for the user error posts" - ??? I didn't use it wrong and its my seventeenth pipe....some are still being used over 40 yrs later.

"Sounds like a lemon all around" --- Not quite --- hand made but I suspect for another brand. Its just finicky like my Butz-Choquin Fait Main which also has thin walls.

Any glue suggestions or are you the on call critique tonight ?hahau🤣
people own many pipes have said one smokes hot or wet and they'll get a bunch of posts saying it's all user error. Not partial even. I think it's from people reading only part of the post before replying.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
UPDATE - I researched the forum threads for stem glue and found two threads with discussion. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem with modern two part stems. One thread discussed a Vauen spigot and the other a Savinelli pipe. The most common suggestion was super glue the tenon back into stem. The preferred suggestion was to get a two part epoxy resin to glue tenon into stem and let it sit for a day or two before use. That is the way I will go and try to find one that is heat resistant but that might be overkill.

To that end : IBTL

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Thank you ! Very Interesting. So LatakiaLover recommends G-Flex and Sasquatch recommends JB Weld Plastic Bonder in black. I'll have to see which one I can get though I think Sasquatch makes pipes so I'm leaning in the JBWeld direction (also I could use it for other purposes on occasion). Also interesting is cutting grooves in the tenon and stem --- but I don't have to --- the tenon already has some grooves in both directions but I did not see any corresponding grooves or appendages on the silver ring or inside of stem but will look again with a magnifying glass or loop to make sure. Maybe it is a fitted piece.

Truly helpful link ! :)

1662769154131.png

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Thank you ! Very Interesting. So LatakiaLover recommends G-Flex and Sasquatch recommends JB Weld Plastic Bonder in black. I'll have to see which one I can get though I think Sasquatch makes pipes so I'm leaning in the JBWeld direction (also I could use it for other purposes on occasion). Also interesting is cutting grooves in the tenon and stem --- but I don't have to --- the tenon already has some grooves in both directions but I did not see any corresponding grooves or appendages on the silver ring or inside of stem but will look again with a magnifying glass or loop to make sure. Maybe it is a fitted piece.

Truly helpful link ! :)

View attachment 168173
Yeah JB Weld. What would some guy who calls himself LatakiaLover know anyway… 😉😉😉

• Haha
Reactions: Hillcrest
Status
Not open for further replies.