What Is Your Standard For Deep Cleaning A Tobacco Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I was under the impression that the salt and high proof alcohol was the best for getting funky smell or taste out of the bowl and shank?
I have been using cotton balls and barrel proof clear peach brandy for some time now. I leave an alcohol-soaked pipe cleaner in the shank. Occasionally this might have to repeated.

It's worked well for over 100 estate pipes. I have not had to resort to other methods.

Others have different approaches. No right or wrong. Whatever works for you. ?

Reactions: Laurent

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I wonder if a "deep cleaning" is necessary if you run an booze soaked pipe cleaner through then clean the bowl with it also if you do a light ream once in a while and always rub the stem and top of the bowl with damp cloth.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I wonder if a "deep cleaning" is necessary if you run an booze soaked pipe cleaner through then clean the bowl with it also if you do a light ream once in a while and always rub the stem and top of the bowl with damp cloth.
I only do it with estate pipes when they arrive or with one of my older pipes that have built up a cake or start to taste sour/ ashy.

Since I clean my pipes after every smoke I do not deep clean unless I feel it warranted. Better things to do with my time. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I rotate quite a few pipes for a one or two bowl a day pipe smoker, so deep cleaning gets put off, though I scoop out the bowl, run a pipe cleaner, wipe out the bowl, and polish the pipe by hand after each smoke. I don't build cake. So the words deep cleaning, in the face of a lot of pipes, makes we want to take a nap. But when I know it's needed, a water flush, multiple pipe cleaners, a bristled pipe cleaner or two, and an abrasive paper towel in the chamber usually does it, unless more work is required.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I hate cleaning anything but with my pipe it's part of the ritual (pre-smoke, smoke, post-smoke) and it's very quick.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Yes and eventually the alcohol will dry leaving the odor causing agents embedded in the charcoal. This I learned from George Dibos.
Hello Jesse,
This is so good news ; I tried about everything, but never contemplated filling a bowl with ac .
The stuff comes in cubes, flakes, pallets etc . and in different "sizes" .
Does it make a difference what to use ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello Jesse,
This is so good news ; I tried about everything, but never contemplated filling a bowl with ac .
The stuff comes in cubes, flakes, pallets etc . and in different "sizes" .
Does it make a difference what to use ?
Granulated, probably like kitty litter, not powder. George was specific about that. Says it exorcizes ghosts like nothing else. He also augers out the fossilized coating of tobacco in the shank airway. Her removes every trace of hardened tobacco sludge back to the wood, but not touching or removing the wood. Then this treatment does the rest.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I should have mentioned I personally have not done a deep clean myself in years. I have official pipe cleaners whose job is to clean my pipes properly. I taught my two sons how to deep clean pipes years ago. One day soon they will get the call to clean my pipes with Everclear and shank brushes and pipe cleaners both bristle and fluffy.

I will randomly check their work to make sure they are doing their job right. Having pipe slaves is fun. I tried to get my youngest daughter to do it but she has really screwed up type of rheumatoid arthritis.. My oldest daughter told me to piss off and laughed at me. She is so much like me it is scary. She finishes law school in May and her first case is to go after an old tenant from my plaza. They screwed me out of some money and my daughter is going to get my money and make them fucking miserable. The tenant is a Christian church, you would think they would do the right thing but they are scumbags and the statue of limitations is a long way off. I can't wait to hear them and try and negotiate a payment. They are going to pay full tilt those pieces of shit.

I do give my boys cash or we go for sushi or eat some lobsters so there is incentive.