PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTom

Lifer
Oct 20, 2019
Liverpool, UK.
I used to use folding Czech tools, then a folding Rogers tool, now I use screwdrivers, for poking, stoking & tampering, they give more leverage than folding tools.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: SpookedPiper

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Czech tool. I don't have to worry if I accidentally lost it one day. When I forget to take it with me when on the way I realise how useful it actually is. And the nail part is really handy to scratch some unburnt tobacco from the walls. Can also be done with a "poker" but sometimes it leaves a mark in the cake.

Reactions: MrTom

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
In my short experience, I am gravitating to the least fancy thing that I need.

Started with Czech tool, then AG Russell pipe knife, then a fancy tamper with a screw-out pick. All work well, but more than I need, and with fiddliness when it comes time to stir the ashes or pick out dottle.

So I have a couple of aluminum golf tees coming. I’m pretty sure it’s all I need, with none of the fiddliness.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tried looking for left index fingers on eBay, but they frown upon that.
s-l300.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What seldom displays above. Unlike the Czech tool, it has a blade which is perfect for a light scrape around the chamber.

For a tamper, a wooden golf tee with the paint or finish burned off works just fine, as do branches, twigs, pine chips and Czech tools, not to mention digits.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Mine is a Rodgers Sheffield pipe knife. Made in england. I have a stainless steel one too somewhere. A bit pricey I think around 25 dollars or so, but totally worth it. They make ones with bone instead of plastic or steel, but those go around 75 bucks and up.

Reactions: MrTom and upnorth1
Status
Not open for further replies.