PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Dip staining a bowl or covering up the stain in the bowel with a carbon coating. This is what I found in my new rossi when investigating a bad taste. Carbon coating started rubbing off with the first rub of a swab with a little bit of alcohol. Silly Silly Silly. Its a good thing I like the pipe or I would be mad. :puffy:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
This is a common problem with new pipes. I've seen it with Petes, Stanwells, Ashtons. Even a few Dunhills. Stain in the chamber and / or shank. It'll ruin the taste, at least for the first half dozen bowls. That's why with every new pipe I will meticulously clean out the bowl and shank down to the bare blond wood. I want nothing between my briar and leaf - except for a well trimmed cake.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
yea ... but they covered it with carbon. That part is the funny one. I got the carbon out, and much of the stain. Used a pipe cleaner dipped in everclear to scrub then dried it by wiping with a paper towel. Only the stain at the top of the bowel rim remains. I'm gonna test smoke it in the morning, and determine if to further clean or let it rip. Like my daddy I don't have much patience. I get it honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.