PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
So, I'm constantly hearing about not getting my pipe too hot, and it seems that this is everyone's number one priority ans concern. What is considered too hot? I understand that if the pipe goes out more than normal, it has probably to do that it isn't packed 100% correctly. But, what is too hot? I noticed when I smoke, it tends to go out quite often, but in terms of temperature, it goes only quite warm. I've never let it go unbearably hot. Is there something like a rule of thumb to look out for?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So, I'm constantly hearing about not getting my pipe too hot, and it seems that this is everyone's number one priority ans concern. What is considered too hot? I understand that if the pipe goes out more than normal, it has probably to do that it isn't packed 100% correctly. But, what is too hot? I noticed when I smoke, it tends to go out quite often, but in terms of temperature, it goes only quite warm. I've never let it go unbearably hot. Is there something like a rule of thumb to look out for?
Sounds like you've got a good grasp (sorry about the pun) on things.

Work towards keeping the pipe going without letting it get as hot as you have before.

You've already got it to where you don't have to let go of it or hold it differently.

Also, different blends are going to pack & burn differently but in time you'll have it all down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The way a pipe gets too hot is when you puff it continuously rather than sip, and the bowl gets hot to the touch, and the pipe emits a lot of smoke. Slow your cadence, let the ember cool some, and remember to sip. I think folks switching from cigarettes tend to over-puff, trying to get a better nicotine hit. Slow is good.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
"Too hot" is anything warmer than "barely smoldering". Some would take that a step further and say it's anything hotter than "about to go out".
If the bowl is hot, the tobacco is way too hot.

Reactions: STP and ofafeather
Mar 1, 2014
On a purely technical basis the perfect tobacco smoking method would not burn any Tobacco, flame only destroys the aromatic particles that you are trying to get out of the tobacco in the first place.
So the optimal temperature is the absolute minimum required to keep the ember going.

But, constant re-lights are a pain and smoking pipes is not supposed to be torture.
However cool you can comfortably smoke a pipe is the correct way to smoke a pipe.

If you're really having trouble with re-lights, I suggest looking for blends that are known to burn easily, like the old codger blends or some fine cut blends (I just got a tin of G.L. Pease Penny Farthing that is shag cut, which should make it one of the better behaving Virginia blends on the market. Also check out Sutliff "Match Victorian").

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
However cool you can comfortably smoke a pipe is the correct way to smoke a pipe.
^^
This.

My pipes they all get "hot" when I smoke them because I'm a fast sippuffer. Those with thin walls, like my Brigham Canadian get the hottest, to the point they almost or actually fail the cheek test. I don't sweat it, as long as a hole isn't burned through them I continue to smoke.

I've noticed that the leading cause of tongue burn is not so much how "hot" the contents of the bowl are but the act of lighting/relighting.