PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I lost my ass a little on some pipes I auctioned off last month, and should be receiving payment for those very soon. I have a pipe in my sights, not just a pipe, but one of those looked around forever pipes and couldn't find and have now just stumbled across it. It's a doubt I'll find another one like it pipes and I need to act ASAP before it goes away, but have to wait for the money to come in from the other pipes. What is this stage of PAD called?

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I'm not sure but I think that is FPAD. It's the excitement, anticipation, frustration, heavy breathing that comes before the final release of holding that new pipe in your hands. Also known as foreplay. Therefore FPAD

M

I've never really been in this place. I rarely find pipes that I need and almost always attribute PAD to want and move on, but this is one I need. The good news is that the seller is looking for a good chunk of change for it, and I doubt someone else would be willing to pay what he wants; doubt being the key word. It's definitely a very anxious feeling. I have watched pipes regularly disappear off my wishlist on smokingpipes.com over the past few weeks, which has made me even more anxious, in that, I know how quickly pipes disappear.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I hear you, I was in the same boat a couple of days ago. I was waiting until I got paid this week to buy a Peterson that I had on my wishlist until a couple of days ago, I signed into smokingpipes.com only to find it was no longer available.

I should have just paid for it on the credit card and , but I just hate using that damn thing unless it's an emergency.

Oh well... easy come, easy go!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The 4 Stages PAD
1. Desire

“OMFG, it’s perfect.” “That’s the nicest pipe I’ve ever seen.” “I can’t believe my eyes.” “It is rather expensive though, and the wife would kill me.”
Ahh, the initial stage of PAD. We’re so innocent and that first pipe is so difficult to resist. However, early PAD can still hear the voice of reason somewhere off in the distance, so rather than pull the trigger we find ourselves checking the pictures online constantly, we catch ourselves thinking about the pipe throughout the day.
The strength of such desire will be more or less intense, depending on the individual. The unmistakable first sign is the internal debate, as you try to resist an instinctive pull. Among all those lovely pipes you have a special feeling about a particular pipe from the first time you saw it: How many of us have been there? It’s pure desire; a revisit to the sweet memories of childhood, when we just had to have that new toy. But as an adult, we’re still debating whether to purchase it or not. Although we don’t realize it, we are in search of a justification.
2. Justification
“It would be a good investment.” “I don’t have enough pipes to let the others rest properly.” “It is surely a great smoker.” “Besides the wife would understand, she’s always buying new shoes and never consults me.”
Making the decision to make that first purchase online can be the most difficult part, however we somehow manage convince ourselves we are doing the right thing. The internal negotiation gives in to our uncontrollable desire to pull the trigger, that life-long struggle to control our impulses, abandons us and we begin to await the package in the mail.
3. Collection
“Sweet pipe.” “Great score.” “Nice freehand.” “Gotta get me a Tinsky.” “PM sent.”
The third stage of PAD sets in immediately after the euphoria of coming home from work and finding the package with that perfect pipe you purchased. You felt like a kid opening a birthday present. Before you know it, you begin posting photos of your pipe on the forum and your conversations are now focused how much you love your new pipe.
You now respond to all PAD postings, and you begin to see you are not alone in your constant need for more pipes. You spend more time browsing the sponsor sites and searching the net for more “must have” pipes. You now consider yourself a collector and your collection grows rapidly.

Buying is not always bad; but as your tastes become more refined, earlier purchases just become ordinary pipes and soon it will be time to thin the herd.
4. Reckless Abandon
“Pipe collecting is a serious investment.” “OMG, that pipe will be worth a fortune in a few years.” “It would be better to have less pipes, but much more expensive ones.” “I haven’t smoked many of my pipes in months.” “It’s time to thin the herd.”
The important thing to remember is you are a collector so selling off your old pipes to make room for new ones is the “logical” thing to do. Even though you sell them off at discounted prices, your next purchases will be wiser investments. It’s all part of the learning curve, you are going to reinvest in true collector pipes this time and not just follow your uncontrollable urge for new pipes!
The experience bittersweet, as you hate to let go of what were once your favorite pipes, but you know that it will all be worth it. You will now have that birth year Dunny you’ve always wanted, for the investment, of course.
The day you wake up and say “I lost my ass a little on some pipes I auctioned off last month” “I have a pipe in my sights, not just a pipe, but one of those looked around forever pipes and couldn't find and have now just stumbled across it” “It's a doubt I'll find another one like it and I need to act ASAP before it goes away”
Reckless Abandon is the stage where you turn to your partners, and ask, “What is this stage of PAD called?”

M

I should have just paid for it on the credit card and , but I just hate using that damn thing unless it's an emergency.

Oh well... easy come, easy go!
Been there many times, but I don't want to be there on this one.
@dottiewarden, that is a great breakdown of the stages of PAD!
Reckless Abandon is the stage where you turn to your partners, and ask, “What is this stage of PAD called?”
Good stuff.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
@dottiewarden -- your description has the situation nailed! (...and thanks a lot for the chuckles.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wait! I haven't had to pay any monthly owner dues on my time share in the Brooklyn and 59th St. bridges.... My $10,000 investment hasn't returned any profits or dividends yet, but should do so soon. The guy I bought it from said something like "as soon as there are no more suckers being born". Or pigs flying, something also about hell and cold temperatures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... then there's the greatest lie in the English language, having nothing to do with pipes ... "Free Kitten."

M

You guys are killing me, but what's really killing me is that I just heard that one of the buyers for one of the pipes I let go a few weeks ago didn't pay. My payment is on hold as the pipe has been relisted. 8O :twisted:

M

This means that it's either credit card, half a pay check, or death. I am going to pull the trigger in the morning if it's still there because death is unacceptable.
I'd post a picture when/if I get the pipe, but I'm afraid everyone will make fun of me. [That's the pipe this guy made a big deal about 'needing']. I mean look at Frank. The guy shares his enema phobia and he may never be able to live it down. Wait, did I just bring that up again. Sorry Frank. :)

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
NOT THE ENEMA SCHTICK AGAIN!!!! Nooooooooooooo...
Stage-wise, that really means your PAD is "TERMINAL"!!!

M

Damn credit card. Deed is done. Pipe is mine. I'm in the final stage on this one. Relief and hopefully not regret once it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.