What is This Pipe/Too Nice For Basket Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
20210130_171500.jpg

20210130_171524.jpg

This is a strange one. Seems to be an anonymous basket pipe but at the same time seems too well made to be a basket pipe. It is a vulcanite Cumberland stem. Drilling and fit is near perfect. The stem is even drilled with an ever so slight tapered airway. Anyone have any info on these stampings BAR R2?

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Definitely has the “Sea Rock” touch to the bowl. Quite possibly a Barclay Rex derivation. ?☕
Agreed it definitely has a Sea Rock style to it. This is a style of rusticstion I like. I'm not very familiar with Barclay Rex other than I recognize the name. I will do some digging.

Reactions: BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’d say not a basket pipe. Lovely rustication and the Cumberland stem is perfect with it. Never ever ever seen that on a basket pipe.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
it looks like a Wally Frank White Bar Estate Smoking Tobacco Pipe. I'll give you $10.00 and I'll pay for the shipping also. :rolleyes:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
R2 is most likely the grade (dark rustication) but I’ve never seen the BAR marking before. Perhaps handmade artisan? Odd no COM either tho

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not clear. Did you find it in a pipe shop basket? Pretty good pipes can find their way into pipe shop baskets at the discretion of the proprietor, so it is always wise to look. Maybe he/she didn't recognize the brand or had just had it hanging around too long, or wants to draw people in by having a few "prizes" in the basket. A basket is just that, and anything can go in it.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
It's not clear. Did you find it in a pipe shop basket? Pretty good pipes can find their way into pipe shop baskets at the discretion of the proprietor, so it is always wise to look. Maybe he/she didn't recognize the brand or had just had it hanging around too long, or wants to draw people in by having a few "prizes" in the basket. A basket is just that, and anything can go in it.
This was an eBay find. I bought it because I liked the rusticstion and Cumberland stem. Figured it was a "basket" pipe but was a bit surprised when it arrived. It just seems very very well made. But I can find no other identifying marks other than the BAR R2. And I can't find any definitive info on those markings.