What is This Gunk on the Bit and How Do You Deal With It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
These white "etchings" appear on the bits of my pipes even after one smoking. If I take the time, I can scratch it off with my thumbnail but it is kind of a pain. Do you get this? If so, how do you deal with it?IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

Reactions: kcghost

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Nature of the beast, vulcanite oxidizes when in comes in contact with UV light, saliva, or just about anything else. The only way to get rid of it is to remove it mechanically, i.e. sand, rub, polish it off. Its easier to prevent than it is to remove. Mineral oil, obsidian oil, plain chapstick, wax etc. will go a long way to preventing it. Keep you pipes stored away from sunlight will help immensely. When I'm done smoking I wipe a tiny amount of plain chapstick on my bit and polish it up real quick with a soft rag. Or just buy pipes with acrylic bits and never worry about it again.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Heavy oxidation can and will impact taste over time. Remove it as mentioned above, keep it oiled and away from water, sunlight, and an open room. you will need to attend to giving it fresh wipes of obsidian if you don’t smoke it from time to time. I smoke my Charatans and Upshall pipes with softy bits. Some people have acrylic stems made for casual smoking and keep the original vulcanite stems for resale. A pipe is a tool and like all tools, the better you maintain them the longer they Will provide service as designed. Not to be crude, but not keeping the stem clean between uses and the same mentality of using a dirty dick. Think about it.