What is the Worst Pipe Tobacco You have ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Late '70s Paladin Black Cherry. No idea if it's still the same. Many tobaccos seem to have changed over the years. It's the only pipe tobacco that caused me shocked disbelief. Smelled exactly like some of the nastiest car fresheners and saloon urinal cakes from the same era. Cloying, cheap, artificial muck.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I also would have to say Velvet. I thought it was supposed to be mild and smooth, but for me it is the only tobacco I have tried that that seems like my mouth is full of bees when I smoke it. Instantly, from the first puff to the last. I smoked part of one bowl but couldn’t get through it. The rest is sitting in a jar until I decide what to do with it.
Traditional old time Velvet, is a very smooth, nearly bite free, sort of cherry and maple flavored all day smoke.

I’d guess at one time the maker quit aging the burley for at least two years in oak.

Young burley is a hot, nasty experience.

I tried aging my hot tasting Velvet and finally tossed it.

The new production Velvet is delicious, exactly as it was 50 years ago.

It’s aged properly.

Reactions: Shortwave

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Since someone revived this thread, I will put in my two cents:

There isn’t a tobacco that I find disgusting. But I got awfully sick from Peterson / Dunhill Standard Mixture. I have tried it several times and each time it didn‘t agree with me. Nausea, light-headed, etc. I have not experienced that with any other tobacco (yet) and I have smoked quite a few.