What Is the Sweetest Straight Virginia Blend You Have Ever Smoked?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oldtoby, I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to take your tin of a favorite smoke. You enjoy the hell out of that, and that will make me happy. Germains is too hard to come by these days, and I can take my chances with the herd. But, I appreciate the hell out of your generosity. That is an awesome offer. Thank you!!!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think Dark Star is about the sweetest McClelland, now that I think of it. It is like white sugar in flavor, very subtle. I actually enjoy Dark Star more when cube cut and mixed with a red Virginia to bring out the sweetness, mixed with the savory.
Not sure I totally agree with your savory versus sweet but I get what you're describing. I agree completely though with your Dark Star assessment, I had forgotten about that. I think 5105 is the same, very sweet which makes sense as it is also a stoved VA.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have to agree on the McCranies Red Ribbon recently smoked from a tin of 83 crop tined in 99 Sweeeeeeeeet. 5100 would be my second choice which is why these two tobaccos make up 75% of my cellar.
:lol:

Mar 29, 2016
Astley's No.44, especially fresh from the tin is quite sweet. Germain's Medium Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Dunhill Flake and the MacBaren rendition of Capstan Blue.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Dark Star is sweet. So is Twist flake and Orlik Golden Sliced. Those are probably the sweetest virginias I've had. I prefer malty bready virginias.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I have to agree with others... Dark Star!!!

I only have 7oz. of 5100 left, so I'm conserving it, but I've had good luck mixing Dark Star with Brown Bogie or Brown Irish rope for a little more oomph with awesome flavor.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Fresh and straight out of the tin it has been Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake for me. The stuff is great and tastes like Frosted Flakes. It's GGGGGreat!

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I agree with the Dark Star, and I have some 10 year aged McLelland Dark Navy Flake that is right there too. Second place goes to a tin of FVF from 2005 that I just finished. Wow did it bloom and get super sweet and smooth in the cellar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
F&T CVP
I’ll also add SG St. James Flake (I know it has Perique) but it’s one of the sweetest VA’s I’ve ever tasted.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Available:

F&T CVP

Capstan Blue

Dunhill Royal Yacht

HH Modern Virginia
Sadly Not Available (but cellar is happy)

McClelland - Stave-Aged Virginia 35 Ribbon

McClelland 40th Anniversary (My Oasis blend, sadly gone, but cellar is happy)

McClelland 5100

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A well aged McClelland #25 would be one of the sweetest I’ve run across. There are many on the brighter echelon like Butera’s Golden Cake that are plenty sweet, but tend to fry my palate rather quickly.

Yep!! I’d say McC #25.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
As others mentioned, there is a difference between sweet due to the casing/topping VS naturally sweet tobacco. I lean toward the latter, more flavor and less tongue burn. Some solid recommendations already but I have to agree with the Red Ribbon or Wessex Campaign. Both are desert island blends for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.