What is the Most Unusual Thing You've Used as a Tamper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
A golf tee, the end of an ink pen, the flat end on the handle of a letter opener, Chapstick, a twig, pretty much anything at my disposal that will fit in the bowl. Lol

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Several times I had misplaced my tamper but used a fired 45 ACP case...works well using the primer end. Spent primer of course. :)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
and with me being a trumpet player I've been wasting a perfectly good golf tee on my pipe.

Now I just keep a couple Blessing trumpets around for "tamper parts".
Darn, all my trumpets are good ones, I don't have any parts horns. :crying:

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Brake shoe hold down pin

2731trailerpart.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
so... how do you use your finger without burning it? I must be doing something wrong with my Tamp Technique because it would definitely burn my finger.
@hunter185: A gopher? :clap:

atboth

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2012
A carrot.
Never used a golf tee. Have a smoothed piece of stick in the breast pocket of my coat that will serve in a pinch. Usually have multiple tampers with me, in the jar of pipe cleaners, at my desk, and in the bookshelves. I have a small army of tampers.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
So I see we have some trumpet players here. I know its not part of this forum subject, but I just have to know. You guys pros? Classical, jazz, club dates?
Me, MMA from Manhattan School of Music way back in 1975-classical on full scholarship. Original dream-play in the NY Philharmoic. Truly another life time ago.
Allan

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
So I see we have some trumpet players here. I know its not part of this forum subject, but I just have to know. You guys pros? Classical, jazz, club dates?
Sorry to derail your topic, but formerly played in (2) 18 piece Big Bands, small jazz groups, Classical Trumpet& Organ Baroque music all on piccolo trumpet, Salsa Bands, Elvis Impersonator Bands, a true Commercial player who obviously "played if they paid"... :rofl: Use to play on a Shilke Gold Plated B6L tuning bell model Bb, Sherzer Piccolo rotary valve trumpet, Rose brass bell Flugelhorn by Courtois 154, and many others that are long gone that I should have kept. :crying:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Teddy - where can I find those clothespins these days? I often use twigs when I'm out and about. I just scrape and smooth the business end on cement or a rough stone. One day I was preparing for a fly fishing presentation at a venue that was also a Boy Scout camp. Those durn scouts did too good a job of cleaning up the dead wood in the forest around, and as I was scavenging in the random artsy craftsy stuff in the room, I came across what turned out to be a clothespin with the ends cut cleanly off. The diameter was almost the regulation 17mm and the open groove made for an interesting dynamic in the tamping process.
hp

les

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
...It's not uncommon for me to just use my finger. The redhead hates it when I do that [...] and says "you have a tool for that, why didn't you use it?"
What was the topic again?
(Sorry. I thought it and felt compelled to say it.)

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@hobie1dog: Thats ok. Im a music lover myself so that topic usually finds its way in somehow. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.