PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I tend to avoid aromatics; the one blend that gave me a knee-jerk reaction was some F&T Cut Virginia Plug - the vanilla in it just did not agree with me and made what seemed like excellent Virginia tobacco taste like a cheap cake. Plus, it's not even a plug!

Reactions: BROBS

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I don't doubt you for a second, but it just goes to show you, it's the nicest guys that have the most rancid tasting assholes. I'm sure any other forum member can attest to this. Let me rephrase that: I hope any other forum member can attest to this. I was about to choose Walter Matthau instead. Would that have been better?
What could have been better/worse? Carl Maulden borrowing your handkerchief.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I enjoyed Haunted Bookshop from the start. It’s typically my wake up bowl. Tobaccoreviews.com definitely gives it mixed reviews. Everyone’s taste is different and no one thing tastes “exactly” the the same to anyone else. Taking that into account, if a blend tasted like “dirty diapers” after 4 bowls worth...I’d most likely not wait to finish off the rest of the 4oz. as it probably won’t vastly improve from baby shit. ?☕
I love HB! It takes me back to childhood and my checking out 4 hardy boys books every 3 days at the library. I LOVE the smell of old books. We didn't have tv or air-conditioning in TX, so I spent a lot of time reading. I love burley and nicotine....

Also, Prince Albert in a cob is the most classic tractor-driving all-day smoke ever for me. Completely low-maintenance and forgiving. It just lacks significant nicotine... I had a cute lady chase me down in town one day when I was smoking it with the pickup window open. She hadn't smelled her grandpa in 20 years, and she was overwhelmed with emotion. Very sweet...

So, I've let this thread go for 15 pages without posting once. Ok, so there are lots of things I don't like... Mixture 79, most cherry blends, Whatever stuff Sutliff puts in everything they make...

But the lowest of the low for me is Borkum Riff anything. I had two special edition tins of Borkum Riff aged wine blend and another special edition in my cellar for a few years, and then decided to try them. (I am pretty sure they were included in a P&C IPSD gift from a few years ago) There is just something about the actual tobaccos they use and their signature goop that just strikes me as disgusting. I like the Borkum Riff tins, because their existence alone is irony. But, the tobacco... Is it merely tobacco flavored shredded paper? Hell, I would rather smoke crumpled up cigarettes in my pipe than ever have to taste Borkum Riff again.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve come across 3 blends in my lifetime that if they were gifted to me would be gifted down the road straight away...Plumcake, Sleepy Hollow, & most recently Velvet. All 3 have vastly different flavor profiles, but for some reason they didn’t agree with me. All were judged by at least 2 bowls experience. Won’t bash the blends by saying they tasted like Ernest Borgnine’s ass or anything ?...just not for me.☕

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
yep, unopened tins I need to post in the trade area, 4 or 5 years old typically: Pirate Kake, McConnell Latakia flake, 4th gen 1882, margate, brebbia Balkan, white knight, balkan sasieni, HH vintage Syrian, Maltese Fallon, glp meridian, sutliff lord of the manor, and a few Dunhills I used to smoke.

Plus jarred but barely touched
And so to bed- 7oz or so, Dan Tobacco midnight ride big tin less 2 bowls or so,

And then of course every aro I’ve ever tried sits in a tin to never be opened again

Feb 3, 2021
Pittsburgh
yep, unopened tins I need to post in the trade area, 4 or 5 years old typically: Pirate Kake, McConnell Latakia flake, 4th gen 1882, margate, brebbia Balkan, white knight, balkan sasieni, HH vintage Syrian, Maltese Fallon, glp meridian, sutliff lord of the manor, and a few Dunhills I used to smoke.

Plus jarred but barely touched
And so to bed- 7oz or so, Dan Tobacco midnight ride big tin less 2 bowls or so,

And then of course every aro I’ve ever tried sits in a tin to never be opened again
We may be able to work something out here...

Kramer Excited.gif

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It’s funny how different our palettes are, seeing a lot of stuff I hate, but a lot of stuff I like a lot too (1792, Royal Yacht, OJK, Haunted Bookshop - yum!) Maybe we should all start bombing the trade thread? I have tons of Latakia stuff and nasty aros to trade or gift!

I like what I'm hearing. A ray of sunshine shimmers out from the tragic wreckage of shit tobacco!

Although to be frank it's hard to understand how Mac Baren Vintage Syrian ended up on your shit tobacco list. (That's crazy talk!)

Status
Not open for further replies.