PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had to search this thread and check no one had posted about it yet...

Solani X Sweet Mystery

Firstly, never in my life have I received such a thorough and expedient case of mouth bite. If that weren't enough, Sweet Mystery has the same aromatic quality as gasoline or herbicide. It smells sort of good in an exotic way, but it's impossible to divorce the aroma from the context of it being poisonous. It's the only tobacco I've ever smoked that lit up my lizard brain's preservation instinct. Marvelously bad.
I kind of like that one. Like not disappointed I smoked a tin of that. But man that stuff will ghost a pipe. I've never had any issues with ghosting until that stuff. Everything tastes like currants for a long time after smoking that stuff. Another one you shouldn't try is Brebbia Quartetto which tastes to me like mulled cider and will ghost too. Both in my opinion aren't bad but more topping then tobacco. Yeah you should try that one so you have another blend to add to this list. :)

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The only blend I've tried that I found absolutely repellent was Old Joe Krantz. I know a lot of people on here swear by it, and I do enjoy stronger Burley blends from houses such as Gawith, etc., but OJK tasted like moldy leather to me. I'll revisit it at some point, because both tobaccos and taste buds change with age, but I had to dump that first bowl halfway through because it was absolutely disgusting to me.
I like moldy leather! I love OJK, but, yeah my first taste was a serious WTF moment. It took a while to get the hang of that one. I think it tastes like a musty, rotting barn. Which I also like.

fihbkyle

Lurker
Dec 28, 2020
South Dakota
I kind of like that one. Like not disappointed I smoked a tin of that. But man that stuff will ghost a pipe. I've never had any issues with ghosting until that stuff. Everything tastes like currants for a long time after smoking that stuff. Another one you shouldn't try is Brebbia Quartetto which tastes to me like mulled cider and will ghost too. Both in my opinion aren't bad but more topping then tobacco. Yeah you should try that one so you have another blend to add to this list. :)

I bought it earlier on in my "career" while trying to find a special occasion aro for around company. Half a bowl, gave the rest away. I don't think I've purchased a non-Boswell aromatic tobacco since, it really put me off the style. I may have to put that Brebbia on my next order, just for entertainment!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I bought it earlier on in my "career" while trying to find a special occasion aro for around company. Half a bowl, gave the rest away. I don't think I've purchased a non-Boswell aromatic tobacco since, it really put me off the style. I may have to put that Brebbia on my next order, just for entertainment!
I personally recommend both not as tobacco that will be well loved but as extreme examples of what pipe tobacco can be. The one thing I liked a lot about sweet mystery is how apropo the name is. It doesn't have a distinct taste like something as much as this ever shifting field of sweetness. And what's weird is it's nothing like the other blends by the same company that I've tried.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
with the proviso that taste in tobacco is personal and subjective:
1. Rattray Exotic passion (overwhelming)
2. Captain Black Grape ( just God awful)
3. Pease Visions of Celephais (too much of everything)
4. Rattray Bagpipers dream (eau De Hair Tonic)

I note that while I mostly smoke Red Virginias (in a variety of forms and blends) that I like some heavily cased/topped aromatics (Devil's Holiday, Autumn Evening, Milonga) so that while my list contains aromatic blends it is not because I hate aromatics...just the ones above.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

I note that while I mostly smoke Red Virginias (in a variety of forms and blends) that I like some heavily cased/topped aromatics (Devil's Holiday, Autumn Evening, Milonga) so that while my list contains aromatic blends it is not because I hate aromatics...just the ones above.
I thought Visions was C&D. And I find I don't really have a type of blend I like. There are aros that I love and Englishes and VAs especially the reds. Which means I have to kind of just go by my gut. And my gut has told me to avoid all the ones you have mentioned.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

Have you tried C&D Derringer? Great stuff.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Estorica blend I forget which type pure
Junk to be honest I thru the bag out.
How anyone can pay that money for a product is beyond my conception.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
The only blend I've tried that I found absolutely repellent was Old Joe Krantz. I know a lot of people on here swear by it, and I do enjoy stronger Burley blends from houses such as Gawith, etc., but OJK tasted like moldy leather to me. I'll revisit it at some point, because both tobaccos and taste buds change with age, but I had to dump that first bowl halfway through because it was absolutely disgusting to me.
I agree it can something to get used to fresh. I let mine sit in a jar for six months and it is smokeable now, at least for me. Smoothed out nicely. Hopefully you have the same experience.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Autum Evening is the only blend I have thrown in the trash. The chemical burn on retrohale was painful and it tasted like I was chewing on celery seeds. Taste is subjective though, there are blends mentioned here that I personally like.

B.Fee

Lifer
Nov 28, 2019
Honolulu / Colorado
Methinks Logs got a bad batch. The stuff is excellent, IMHO puffy
I have found tin note to be a funny / fickle thing. Most tin notes are beautiful and the smoked tobacco equal. Some tin notes are of rotten fruit or old socks but the smoked tobacco is awesome.
Sort of like cheese, some of my most loved cheese smells like yuck but mmm it tastes so good. I like Jack knife plug. ?some of the blends i have tryed that i could put into this category like Plum Pudding first time i tryed it my tongue burnt and shriveled up. I now like .

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Early in my "journey" I had a hankerin' to try Sir Walter Raleigh...I tried everything I knew at the time (not much, to be sure) to get it to taste minimally acceptable, all to no avail. I finally threw the rest of the pouch away. I know that tastes change over time, so some years from now, I know I will have to try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.