PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
To all,
Please give your opinion on the most "incense like" non-aromatic blend you have smoked.
I am referring to the flavor of oriental leaf and latakia, but if there are other blends i'm open.
Thanks,
Joe

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
My wife mentioned that the scent of Syrian Latakia smells like incense. I was smoking McClellands 3 Oaks Syrian.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Another vote for 3 Oaks Syrian; a tasty smoke and it does leave a lingering incense quality in the air.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
3 Oaks Syrian is a good one. Pipes and Cigars Magnum Opus is another (I think it's the Yenidje that does it). I haven't smoked it, but Orient 996 smells like incense. Even my wife (not a smoker) remarked how it smelled like church (RC).

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Here's what Russ said in an answer to that same question in an email a couple of years ago.
"The incense-like aroma comes from the combination of Latakia and Orientals, usually Macedonian-type."

You can go to P&C and type macedonian into the search functionand see what comes up.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
aldecaker
Penzance gets incense-y if smoked fairly slow in a shallow wide bowl ( like a Prince ), and it has to be at the right moisture too, otherwise it tastes ( to me, a mainly VA smoker ) just like any other Lat blend.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Frankincense or myrrh tho??? Apparently Margate has that quality I hear, I have a pound of it but haven't gotten around to trying it.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Ennerdale flake. It almost ended my pipe smoking career. Not only that, it also made me feel little bit ashamed to be human.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Margate has a distinctive incense-like quality. Some say it has no Virginia (others disagree), but either way it certainly has the Latakia/Oriental thing going....

Status
Not open for further replies.