PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
Periodically, I have seen the name mentioned in the 'what are you smoking' section of the forum. But I never ordered from them. On a scale of 1-10, what do you guys think of their blends?

Care to offer a recommendation for a smoker who is (temporarily) burned out on lat heavy blends. I currently like BPC and 333, W, etc. I'm well stocked up on those, but am curious about Uhle's. 00 and PPB have been mentioned. I have been restocking the cellar lately, but don't need any more blends that are just: meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I'm a Milwaukee native, so perhaps a bit of a homer, but I think their blends are of the absolute highest quality. My favorites: 00 is straight, beautiful, pure burley, House of Uhle a very unsappy Cavendish that is a real crowd pleaser, and Hunt Club which is a great Virginia with seemingly barely a whisper of perique. When you're ready for Latakia again, Bishop's Move is fantastic, as is Irish Aromatic (but read the description on TR, Uhles site is somehow wrong...)

Two thumbs up from me, hope that helps!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm a Milwaukee native, so perhaps a bit of a homer, but I think their blends are of the absolute highest quality. My favorites: 00 is straight, beautiful, pure burley, House of Uhle a very unsappy Cavendish that is a real crowd pleaser, and Hunt Club which is a great Virginia with seemingly barely a whisper of perique. When you're ready for Latakia again, Bishop's Move is fantastic, as is Irish Aromatic (but read the description on TR, Uhles site is somehow wrong...)

Two thumbs up from me, hope that helps!
The Burley blend is called 00? I live in Burlington, but am in Waukesha 3 nights a week. I really need to stop by there. But I only smoke Burley or BURVA blends, and don't do aromatics. Their online store left something to be desired....

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Periodically, I have seen the name mentioned in the 'what are you smoking' section of the forum. But I never ordered from them. On a scale of 1-10, what do you guys think of their blends?

Care to offer a recommendation for a smoker who is (temporarily) burned out on lat heavy blends. I currently like BPC and 333, W, etc. I'm well stocked up on those, but am curious about Uhle's. 00 and PPB have been mentioned. I have been restocking the cellar lately, but don't need any more blends that are just: meh.

Best Burley in the business, IMO, with apologies to LJ Peretti, who craft some mighty fine blends as well. I don't know whether it's the leaf or the process, but Uhle is worth having around, even if it is a little on the pricey side.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I haven’t tried all the burley‘s out there, but Uhles‘ burley is so much better than anything else I’ve tried I don’t see anything topping it. I like burleys with a little sweetness, and Blend 300 is my favorite. Haven’t tried any other genre but if you like burley I’d highly recommend checking them out

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve been aware of Uhle’s for years, and I stopped in the shop years ago. Looks like a lot of burley based blends.

I’ve never heard anything bad about them. And at one time they supposedly sold E. Andrew pipes, a favorite pipe maker of mine.

While I don’t recall my impression of their tobaccos, a lot of people swear by it. I may have to order some sometime. Or not… I’m trying not to buy any more tobacco since I have more than I’ll ever be able to smoke in this lifetime. 😉

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I keep a lot on hand.
The burleys are great.
00 and perfection plug.
Also blend 44 which is Virginia and Burley.
I haven't worked my way through all the blends but the ones I tried are exceptional.
Every blend listed is on the Gold Standard Blends list
I'm working my way through that list myself and so far I have not been disappointed.
The Consensus is in on Uhle's definitely worth the shipping to try out might be the bulk of your Burley in the Cellar...

Reactions: Arthur Frayn