PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Few hours; how many hours typcially?

I don't typically put pipes through my dishwasher!

But, as I always flush my pipes with very hot tap water, I can smoke them immediately after towel drying the chamber and pipe cleaner in the airway. Briar doesn't absorb much water at all. And the biggest stress it gets is when steam, hot smoke, and ember heat the briar, such as when you're actually smoking it.

Wood is more absorbent when it's very warm or mildly hot (over 200º is my guess).

BTW, I generally just air dry my pipes after the hot water flush, and let them dry overnight. Saves on paper towels and pipe cleaners, plus I am a bit lazy.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don't typically put pipes through my dishwasher!

But, as I always flush my pipes with very hot tap water, I can smoke them immediately after towel drying the chamber and pipe cleaner in the airway. Briar doesn't absorb much water at all. And the biggest stress it gets is when steam, hot smoke, and ember heat the briar, such as when you're actually smoking it.

Wood is more absorbent when it's very warm or mildly hot (over 200º is my guess).

BTW, I generally just air dry my pipes after the hot water flush, and let them dry overnight. Saves on paper towels and pipe cleaners, plus I am a bit lazy.

If the dishwasher works, then why not use it?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Everyone is free to do so, but it doesn't force enough water through the airway, for one, and another, I'm not going to wait until it's a full load before running. And I don't have 300 pipes!

My dishwasher hates my pipes, I cant get her to touch them..

No seriously, I've read all the threads and wondered why you didnt reccomend that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In addition to what I wrote above, the human dishwasher here was absent during my experiment, and is none-the-wiser. I'd like to keep it that way.

My biggest concern would be plastic— as well as vulcanite— stems undergoing a very hot drying cycle. Could be disastrous.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Professional-Pipe-Retort-Kit-_1.jpg
That looks similar to something I used in college ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
JPM: "These ladies spent a cycle in my dishwasher—for science!— and after few hours drying and a light rubdown with mineral oil, are ready to load and smoke."

I'm surprised the corn cob didn't disintegrate!

All for science! Yes, they all survived just fine. As mentioned, this is not exactly a recommended procedure, among the reasons: The airway doesn't get flushed.

michail

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 7, 2015
Paros, Greece
I never use any kind of chlorine/bleach in anything I will put in my mouth. Also it oxidizing stems.

I use only 99 alcohol bought from pharmacy store. It really expensive but it kills everything.
Depending on the condition of the pipe I adjust how I use it.

Salt and alcohol 3 times at least is standard. If last application comes really clean I do not more than cleaning with a hard pipe cleaner both mortise, stem and draft hole.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
All for science! Yes, they all survived just fine. As mentioned, this is not exactly a recommended procedure, among the reasons: The airway doesn't get flushed.
I once had a friend that worked at a tobacco shop mostly cigars, one of the customers came in one day very upset because his wife put his meer collection in the dish washer and well that's not a very good thing apparently.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, what happened? Left on a hot dry cycle I can see damage, esp on stems, but probably not otherwise. (unless they got tossed about, then fergggeeedddddabbouuudddittt.)

Status
Not open for further replies.