What is the Best Tip or Advice You've Ever Gotten About Smoking a Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all.

One of the difficult things as a relative (or still totally) newcomer here is most of the obvious, essential questions and topics have been covered. And then covered again.

And again.

I know, for instance, sitting permanently at the top of this section is a link to pipe smoking tips for beginners. (Helpful, no doubt.) But I'm trying for something a little different, as the subject line says: What's the best tip or advice you've ever gotten about smoking a pipe? Maybe another way to put it: If you only could give someone one suggestion, what might it be?

One a podcast (I honestly don't remember which), I heard this, and I think it has really advanced my enjoyment of my pipes: When you're tamping, the goal is to introduce the burning ember to the unlit tobacco underneath it -- and it doesn't take a lot of force.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
An elaboration on smoking slower. The goal should be to use as little flame/heat as possible to get the pipe going (don't use huge draws at the light or you char a lot of tobacco further down the bowl), and as little air as possible to keep the pipe going (low temps = better smoke).

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Other than the ones already mentioned: always drink a citrus drink while smoking. Now my morning pipe must be with my morning coffee, but otherwise I try to drink Lemonade, pineapple juice or tonic water while smoking. It helps to clean the palate and ease a tired mouth.
That's funny, my two main drinks are clogged and mt dew. So I'm already biased, but the combinations are amazing together. The only person I know that drinks as much Dew as me is @chasingembers

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Experiment. As a pipe smoker, I get too entrenched in the pipes I smoke as well as the blends. Variety is the spice of life. If you like aromatics, try virginias, vapers, va-burs, va-per-burs, and or englishes. Your rotation may be briar, but try a meer and/or a cob. One of the great things about pipes is that there are so many different types of pipes and tobaccos to try.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I know that you’re asking for one suggestion, but the “dry longer, pack lighter, smoke slower” advice, was what really got the ball rolling, for me.
^^^^
Best advice I ever got.

Recently I discovered meerschaum chips. 3-4 pieces in the bottom of the bowl if I didn't have enough time to dry the tobacco results in a nice dry smoke and minimal dottle.