What Is The Best Material You Have Used For Pipes In A Vice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
New Cigars
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
I didn’t see a pipe makers forum on the list but figured maybe some answers here. I’ve trued a few things but imagine neoprene would be good. Soft enough to not damage the pipe but firm enough to keep it in place...

In this instance, it’s for sanding/reshaping. Msybe one of you will have a better way...

I don’t have a workbench yet for a bolted down vice either so it’s just a twist on table vice. I’m moving soon where I can have a full shop so I’m not investing in anything large that I’d have to haul across the state. :)

Thanks for any replies

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
Thank you guys. Yeah part of it is I don’t have a bolted down Vice yet. No dedicated work bench. I used some silicone padding for one part and I have a dowel with some padding and tape on the end but it doesn’t want to sit in the Vice. Always rocks back and forth. Too bad the bottom isn’t square. I’ll check out the video too and try the reamer idea. That’s smart. I’m moving this summer where I’ll have a shop. Then I’ll be able to put on proper stuff.

I got a nice big Vermont Freehand package tonight. That’s always fun :).
Cheers

Reactions: canucklehead

Happy_10

Lurker
Feb 10, 2021
To hold the pipe in place? Do you have one of those expandable metal pipe reamers? Expand one of those into the bowl, then clamp the reamer into the vice.
: Impression of Planet Proxima Centauri with New the stars, Centauri a and Centauri B - Information about Proxima Centauri .

Status
Not open for further replies.