PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok I am new. Just loaded all of my samples into my mason jars. Smelled them all, or is it smelt? Anyway all were ok to nice with some variances but man o man the Lane Bulk HGL sample was as if I snorted ashes from ash tray. What in the heck is in that? Is it the Latakia? I hope it does not taste like it smells? I am putting that one on end of the list.

Description:
“Lane Limited HGL is a mixture of black Cavendish laced with smoky Latakia blended with mellow white Burley and golden Virginia to produce a sweet, fuller-bodied smoke, that is still cool and slow-burning.”

Attachments

• 598D755D-682C-4791-B159-65DDD963D16D.jpeg
    598D755D-682C-4791-B159-65DDD963D16D.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Laurent

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
? it's most likely the Latakia.

Described in one review I read as "the resulting room note is likely to make your mother-in-law pack up and leave in a hurry"
More effective than garlic with vampires. ?

Like washed-rind cheese and durian, IF you can get past the obvious "aroma" you're in for a treat.

You might want to smoke that one outdoors. Last weekend my wife poked her head out to ask if I wanted a cup of tea and promptly complained of the "stench"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A lot of people are sensitive to the smell of latakia, its smoke and the leaf itself. I'm glad I never got sensitized to it. I like many blends with Lat, though I've never gone hunting for Lat bombs. But a friend's wife, like many spouses across the globe, really dislikes the smell. She's very hip, so she just avoids it, but she reacts. A number of Forums members have enjoyed Lat blends and then burnt out on them, so to speak. I think I continue to enjoy it because I am also a burley devotee, and smoke Virginias and Va/Per without latakia, so I don't get saturated with it. Once you get down on it, it's hard to come back, it seems.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Lane HGL is their bulk RLP-6 (Capt Black White) with latakia added (they may add one of their latakia blends)

If you like that flavor and want something less sweet, try their bulk BS-005

Reactions: JOHN72

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yep, the Latakia. Now don't be too turned off by the tin note. For those of us who enjoy Latakia it can be a creamy yummy smoke, regardless of room note or tin note. I would recommend you try it sooner than later. For me personally I have found that I enjoy Latakia fresh. After it ages it tends to settle down and become a bit flat and dry IMO. I LOVE GL Pease Gas Light when it's a fresh tin. But after it ages a bit I don't get that same creaminess from the smoke. But that's just me. Everyone has their own tastes and in time you will find yours. But if you're going to try that tin, I'd highly suggest you do it now.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Sometimes the funkiest smelling tobaccos are the best smokes.
Same with cheese.

Every so often, limburger hits the spot (with braunschweiger/liverwurst and sweet onions on buttered white bread or pumpernickel that is slathered with mayonnaise and mustard ... maybe I should add this to the sandwich thread).

Sometimes you gotta give us the funk (gotta have that funk).

Status
Not open for further replies.