What Is So Hard About Keeping Pipe Sweetener in Stock?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Two ounce bottles of alcohol with secret sauce for 2-4$. Every time I put some in my cart, no matter what retailer, 24 hours later I get a message that it's out of stock.
This one is a real page turner, folks. I can order a 1000$ 100 gm plug of Larsen from any retailer. Why would some of the smaller ones even have it in stock is beyond me. All of this and they can't, say, order a few cases of sweetener? Do they need a loan of a hundred bucks? My bank (wife) will give good rates.
Could you imagine the Captain of the Black Frigate telling his laddies there was no more grog? Forget the toilet paper, but damnit, I want my grog!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Most people use rum, bourbon, everclear, etc. I use 99% isopropyl, a 4$ bottle has lasted me 4 years now and it's not even close to being half empty. I can't see the 100 gram plug of larson for 1000$ exactly selling much, I'm sure they'll have them in stock forever, try to sell them at 50% off, still no buyers, even at 80% off I can't see people buying it.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Is there even anything in pipe sweetener other than alchohal and menthol. Seems a waste

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Since I really don't drink to speak of, anymore, I was using Bourbon. It actually left a residual I didn't care for... and I used to live on Bourbon.
I think the only isopropyl we have here is 70%. I can order higher. I can't get out of the house to get everclear and my family all lives a half hour to an hour away.
Still, the point is that if they keep selling out of a two dollar item it does not take a lot of brains to figure they could buy a little more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Is there even anything in pipe sweetener other than alchohal and menthol. Seems a waste.
Exactly. Such products were foisted on pipe smokers to increase sales from the all-inclusive retailers and wholesalers. Along with pipe cleaners and pipe tools which are necessary, but alcohol based products may remove oils and resins from the briar to ill effect.
Hot water is better for the pipe, and cleans it just as well.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
OK, maybe this aspect will make sense: I am a damned fool that wants to be taken for all I have. Business want to abuse the F out of people like me. All it takes is to keep some corksoaking two dollar bottle in stock.
Deniclean - Amazon wants 11$ including shipping.
I note that smokingpipes.com has 4 bottles now. They did not have 1 yesterday. Ergo on Sunday they either went to the drugstore and bought four bottles or they had a Saturday truckload of them and sold the heck out of them overnight.
hell with it. I'll by some W O Larsen 1000$ tobacco instead

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Damnit, there we go! Same price per ounce as the smaller bottles. Had I not been in such a fog of stupidity I might have looked at the site that has taken me for everything I have and don't have.
You're top ten, Ash

Jan 8, 2013
Could you imagine the Captain of the Black Frigate telling his laddies there was no more grog?
8O The hell you say! That's evil speak! Ye'll bring evil spirits aship with such talk. Ye'll bring the evil eye upon us... Ye might as well be killing an albatross, speaking so! Now, I like the Cap'n, but I can't imagine sailing the high seas with 'im and no grog to be had for it. I'd be yanking his mustaches off his upper lip, and that alone would be a travesty! They are a glorious mustache, and it would be a sin to deprive the world of his gallant whiskers. No, friend, Cap'n Embers keeps the hold well stocked with grog and tobacco to keep his crew happy. We'd sail with him into the fires of hell and straight down the devils throat if he asked us to. But if he failed to keep our spirits up with spirits there'd be mutiny indeed.
Just kidding, Captain. I would never mutiny over grog (well maybe not), but I can't guarantee your mustache would survive. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
'Twould be dire straights indeed should me hold be deficit of drink, but bein' 'o the mountainy sort, there always be a bit 'o mountain dew to slake the thirst and sweeten the pipes. As for me moustache, there be a plank with Master Anthony's name upon it. :mrgreen:
img_20130826_1329053-600x450.jpg

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
David....
Go to any large supermarket. Go down the aisle where they sell spices, and flavorings for baking cookies and cakes. Look for a small bottle of cheap, MC CORMICK RUM EXTRACT, and buy it. When you get home, dip the tip end of a scrubby pipe cleaner into this stuff, and scrub out the pipe-stem, mortise area, and smoke-chamber walls with it. It dries almost instantly and leaves behind a pleasant scent that will NOT haunt your pipes. I've used this rum extract for years. It's just some grain alcohol (Vodka) with some flavorings added. Forget the high-priced, pipe store cleaners/sweeteners.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Dave....
Just read thru your second posting re: detection of residuals, etc. Forget the Rum Extract. It might leave behind something that you dislike. Just get some cheapo, high-proof, straight Vodka, or straight grain alcohol. this works just as well as any expensive "sweetener".

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Wish I could shop. Farthest I have been out in years is to the back yard on a really good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.