What is Samuel Gawith’s Most Under-Rated Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I don't know how underrated it is, but I enjoy Perfection quite a bit. A nice mild English with some vanilla. The vanilla just rounds everything out and gives everything this pleasant subtle sweetness.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've tried to like Golden Glow, but it stings the crap out of my mouth. No idea why and I've tried to like it over 4-5 years to no avail.

• Sad
Reactions: dcon

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
1792 is among my top 5 smokes - but of course nobody needs to like anything anyone else does! The rest are considered top of the range. I also like Balkan Flake and Brown No.4
never had Balkan flake but brown no4 is truly a stout smoke.i love it in small quantities.Cant smoke several consecutive bowls of it.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I like the Rum Flake. Got is as an add-on from Secret Santa. Found out I like Lakelands!
not strictly S Gawith as its sold as a Gawith Hoggarth blend ,and yes I know they are now one and the same company.
really only mentioning it so anyone who wants to try it knows what to look for

Jun 9, 2018
England
It's sold under the Gawith Hoggarth not Samuel Gawith name but as you're in the UK you have access to the Reunion series tobaccos released last year.
The Reunion Series: Bourbon Flake is a beautiful smoke. It's a mainly Virginia flake with a bourbon topping that you can buy a small 12.5g sample from most of the UK online retailers.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Which blends of there's are underrated? Only thing I could think of are the aromatics, which I haven't tried. They're all rated rather highly and for good reason, IMO
I agree. There's not much flying under the radar coming from SG except perhaps some of the more recent releases. Virtually every one of their long running blends are considered classics.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Strictly going by availability, their Balkan Flake is likely to be the one most under-rated (or least favored). That seems to be one of the few that's left after the race to load up! Personally, I find it quite good to mix with GH's stronger stuff. :coffee:

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I would say their Special Flakes. I purchased one of them (I forget which one, but is was a heavy Lakeland Blend) and I quickly ordered 50g of each. I think they may be discontinued now, but I have two pipes dedicated to these flakes. When I’m in the mood for a Lakeland, these hit the spot. Not sure if they are/were underrated, but you don’t hear much about them.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve only just dipped my toe into the SG waters, but so far I’d say Black XX and Kendal Plug. Kendal Plug is easy to like, but rarely gets mentioned. Black XX is perhaps a bit more of an acquired taste, and definitely gets hated on the most, but if you enjoy it, there’s nothing else like it.

Reactions: pantsBoots
Status
Not open for further replies.