PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I believe complexity means having a multitude of flavors (correct me if Im wrong) but I've never quite understood the meaning of depth in a blend.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Good
I take it to similar to comparing Coors Light to a Dark Lager. The Dark Lager would have much greater depth of flavor.
Good analogy. I just experienced something similar to this tasting different whiskeys. Until you try some with little finish and some with long smooth flavorful finish you wouldn’t get it. I didn’t. Interesting to work on developing our tastes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Depth of flavor is a sensory impression arrived at by the complex physiology that undergirds taste.

(From an article I wrote.)

"Tastants gathered by the receptors pass to the thalamus that encodes further information about the chemical and physical characteristics of this gustatory stimuli, and passes it to the Gustatory Cortex (GC). “The thalamus is universally acknowledged as GC’s main source of information about the chemical and physical characteristics of gustatory stimuli.

"But once the tastants are coded by the thalamus in the neurology of the GC, the cerebral cortex searches semantic memory for referent experience."

Note that in order to determine taste the taste in question must reference the warehouse of all previous tastes in semantic memory.

In the same way present experience in general must be sorted by discernment, one of the 12 mental factors in Buddhism.

To know current reference the past.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The meaning might be variable with context. My sense is that it means you get a range of base notes (strong dark smokey) at the same time you get intermediate, and maybe some sweet higher taste notes. Complexity might occur in various ways, including depth, but might be a cluster of tastes that interplay in a more narrow range. Ain't I fancy? Well, something like that.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I really like Sutliff Virginia Slices, but they're sort of a one trick pony. Full Virginia Flake has a bunch of flavors to unpack. FVF is deeper.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In its essence the use of the term is to convey to the reader that the particular author means ,,, well, whatever the reader infers. It's a fuzzy, descriptive term which authors use without giving any idea to the reader what it is they are trying to convey. Too many writers cannot convey clarity of thought. They are usually writing so as to be read, not understood. It's just something a reader must contend with when reading untrained writers who do not know how to "write" an easily understood picture.

Again this is simply my opinion. Many writers have clarity of thought but, no idea how to convey same when putting thoughts into words.

Back in the day when letters were how we conversed over distances, trained writers wrote a letter, set it aside, reread it the next morning, revised/edited the missive until their thoughts were easily discerned. Most of us, using the immediacy of the net, no longer do that. The result is flame wars, misunderstanding, lack of clarity, hurt feelings and so forth. It's simply a part of the times we live in.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
pretty sure it means Nietzsche smoked it while authoring Thus Spake Zarathustra.

Status
Not open for further replies.