PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello,

I'm sure this has been done many times over the years, but here I attempt yet another thread focusing on identifying tobaccos or pipes.

Starting with this:
At 19:05, what is that tobacco? I simply cannot recognize it.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-201927_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-201927_YouTube.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
I think I figured it out. He's smoking Schippers Tabak Speciaal, blended by STG.

Taken from TobaccoReviews:

Schippers Speciaal is a loose cut tobacco blend made of both hand stripped tobaccos and whole leaf, which makes a traditional Dutch Baai product. The blend consists of orange Virginia, dark air cured burley and fire cured Kentucky tobaccos. The blend has a chocolate and smoky note.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think I figured it out. He's smoking Schippers Tabak Speciaal, blended by STG.

Schippers Speciaal is a loose cut tobacco blend made of both hand stripped tobaccos and whole leaf, which makes a traditional Dutch Baai product. The blend consists of orange Virginia, dark air cured burley and fire cured Kentucky tobaccos. The blend has a chocolate and smoky note.
Wow. Good researching there. Thanks. Appreciate it. Derrida is certainly not a philosopher who's ideas i care much for, but it's nice to have a list of who smoked pipe and what they smoked, such as JRRT etc.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

I was digging through Middle Eastern labels after realizing that was a Turkish video.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
I was digging through Middle Eastern labels after realizing that was a Turkish video.
I ran the video frame by frame, until I could make out the first 3 letters on the packet, the artwork on the packet is quite clear, and although the video was from a Turkish source I was fairly sure that smoker was speaking French. A quick Google search confirmed that, so I checked French tobaccanists until I had a match. Roughly retailing $13-$16 for a 1.75oz packet, depending on the vendor. Nowhere close to some countries, but still a little pricey. Still it does sound like an interesting blend, that I'd probably try if it was available here.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Would it be possible to make this another famous people who smoke pipe and if known, what they smoked?

[Who - What Smoke(ed) - Source]
Jaques Derrida - Schippers Tabak Speciaal, blended by STG. SOURCE: 2004 documentary 9n Derrida.

I have been building a spreadsheet with this info I'll share, too. Nerd vibez. ?

Reactions: Jacob74 and BROBS