PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I stripped the Oxblood stain off this pipe using Oxy Clean. I started sanding it with 220 3M sandpaper. These brown spots started appearing. I've never seen this before. Anyone else? Any remedies?

ACE27C63-3C15-408E-8781-936806AF6163.jpeg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't think so, it's a Tilshead from the Ken Barnes era. That one spot near the bottom was a pit they would never fill. I'm talking about the larger dark brown areas. It started out blonde and turned that Brown with sanding. I'm some place it was small black spots which sanded to the large brown areas.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I stripped the Oxblood stain off this pipe using Oxy Clean. I started sanding it with 220 3M sandpaper. These brown spots started appearing. I've never seen this before. Anyone else? Any remedies?

View attachment 27850
Is it wood sandpaper? It could be the grit coming off and staining the wood.
I always use auto wet/dry sandpaper as the grit is more fused to the paper. What color is the sandpaper?

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Aug 1, 2012
@BROBS that is a good place to start.

@OP you are hand sanding this correct?

Some musings here, it could be a deeper stain (unlikely) or a deeper penetration of smoke/tars or other things that cause a virgin wood pipe to color. Does it get lighter when you sand just a bit more or is the color consistent?

Quite the mystery.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve had purple sandpaper that was some horseshit and it damned near stained a pipe purple but I noticed it right away.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
@BROBS that is a good place to start.

@OP you are hand sanding this correct?

Some musings here, it could be a deeper stain (unlikely) or a deeper penetration of smoke/tars or other things that cause a virgin wood pipe to color. Does it get lighter when you sand just a bit more or is the color consistent?

Quite the mystery.

all hand sanding. It's not a deeper stain or deeper tars. The pipe wasn't smoked that much. I think brobs is right and a trip to the auto store is in order.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
all hand sanding. It's not a deeper stain or deeper tars. The pipe wasn't smoked that much. I think brobs is right and a trip to the auto store is in order.
They usually have it in the auto section at Walmart as well. If you feel like braving the wild. ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Brobs, I like the 3M brand autobody wet papers (400,800, 1500, 2000) . I've never used Oxyclean on the briar - only for loosening oxidation on the stem. To remove stain, I soak in alcohol, then use fine steel wool. Here's a Sunrise shape 284, stripped and ready to restain. That process brought out a few dark spots like your briar showed. You can see where I stayed away from the nomenclature. It took the stain fine.Sunrise_284_Amber_Grain_Stripped.jpg

Reactions: BROBS and elessar

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I use a methods similar to ssjones. Would recommend an alcohol soak (I use everclear) and wet sand from there. I like the alcohol as it mixes with water left over on the briar and it also evaporates very quickly after a soak. You will see dark spots as the alcohol evaporates. Perhaps something is being absorbed into the briar and left behind from the oxiclean. I would alcohol soak and keep wet sanding.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I prefer to never use alcohol or any solvent on briar. I only use water. ?

alcohol damages the microscopic structure of woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.