PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’ve owned Petersons before (though not currently) and their pipes have a design consistency. I know what a Peterson is. It’s a classic. What’s a Savinelli though? I like some old vintage Savinellis I’ve seen floating around but when I look at the current assortment available, I’m a bit perplexed. According to ChatGPT, Sav moves the most pipes and Peterson is #2. I don’t know if that’s true but, anyway, what is a Savinelli these days? What is the appeal?

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I’ve owned Petersons before (though not currently) and their pipes have a design consistency. I know what a Peterson is. It’s a classic. What’s a Savinelli though? I like some old vintage Savinellis I’ve seen floating around but when I look at the current assortment available, I’m a bit perplexed. According to ChatGPT, Sav moves the most pipes and Peterson is #2. I don’t know if that’s true but, anyway, what is a Savinelli these days? What is the appeal?
I’m curious; what are the main differences, in your opinion, between vintage Savinellis and modern Savinellis? I like the 1 Savinelli I have a lot. I like the button shape and size and I like the bowl shape and size. I also like how it looks. It’s a Foresta 106.

Reactions: milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I’m curious; what are the main differences, in your opinion, between vintage Savinellis and modern Savinellis? I like the 1 Savinelli I have a lot. I like the button shape and size and I like the bowl shape and size. I also like how it looks. It’s a Foresta 106.
I’m not great at describing pipes. The Rebornpipes Italian pipes section has or had a bunch of estate Savs. They seem more stylish somehow. This image is from the reborn site: IMG_7182.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Savinelli is usually considered to be a better design outfit when compared to Peterson. They don't have as large a history of making pipes that weren't quite drilled right whereas Peterson does. Laidisi has done a tremendous job of helping turn around Peterson so we will see if that uptick in quality continues. Every improvement in quality costs money which must be passed on to the consumer or reduced costs.
Peterson has made a lot of money for selling pipes for somewhat less than Savinelli. Right now, you would say both companies seem to have competent leadership.

Reactions: fireground_piper