PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So again, my apologies for the extended absence. While I was away though, I learned some very important smoking lessons. Sadly, some of them appear to have been somewhat costly.
1. I suck at smoking a pipe. Seriously, after two+ years, my technique is still garbage. I smoke like an ox. All heavy and constant.
2. Cigars make for a nice occasional alternative. Now granted, I already knew this, but for Father's Day I got a ten pack sampler from CI, along with one of those 5 cigar, indestructible travel humidors and a cutter. Made for some rather nice evenings. Pipe technique, even mine, translates well to cigars. Nice and slow.
3. I am in love with Missouri Meerschaum. I have a tendency to, in the words of Jason Aldean, "Break everything I touch." So, those durable cobs are my idea of a perfect pipe. Don't get me wrong, briar is beautiful, but I prefer rugged and affordable. For more info on this, see item #1.
4. I wrecked more than one nice briar. As my technique slowly improves, and my attention to detail with it, I realized that one of my Stanwells, my Hilson and my Rattray's, all had specific spots that seemed to get hotter than the rest. After further investigation, and some cake scraping, I found the infamous charred briar patches. In all 3 pipes. Now, granted they are all small spots, and pipe mud will save them indefinitely, but it still makes me a bit sore. When I first realized this, I considered putting my pipes down for good. Then, I got to thinking, and decided that I must just be destined to be a cob smoker. Again, all of this correlates to items 1 and 3.
5. Tobacco, in it's many forms, is truly a blessing. Despite the wrecked pipes, occasional roasted tongue, accidental nasty blend choices, etc, there is a great relaxing hobby here. I have mentioned before that even my shrink commented on my improved anxiety since I got heavy back into the pipes. She also mentioned that the simple acts of choosing, drying, aging, etc all help to move me away from the instant gratification mindset that plagues our world these days. Lately my evening smoke break has been my wind down hour. I always bring my headphones out, and have made a conscious choice never to listen to angry music during that one smoke. It helps, in mountains.
Anyhow, just thought I would share. I imagine there are many of you in similar boats. I'm eyeing up pipes for the long drive from WA to AR, and I think the General should do nicely...

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Really nice post - thanks for sharing!
Now let's see where I stand with your lessons:

1. Check.

2. Check.

3. Need a couple more.

4. Now I'm afraid of scraping my cake (there's a turn of phrase...) and seeing what I've wrought...

5. Agreed!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Glad your back and as for #1, you don't suck at pipe smoking, we ALL suck at pipe smoking! If there is one person who can dare say that they have this thing down, perfect every time, well I'd like to meet them. Carry on.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Thanks for sharing your insights fadingdaylight. I feel some of your sentiments and can relate to some of your experiences. You're probably being a little too hard on yourself though. If you have a pipe in your mouth and you are enjoying it, then you aren't sucking at smoking it. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
You are by NO means alone in your assessment of yourself fading as I'm in the same boat, or should I say bowl. :wink:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Welcome back!
So, put the briars away (after cleaning), buy a couple more MM cobs and an inexpensive estate Dr Grabow (there's several posts on how to clean estates) to practice your "technique". I'd further suggest a Forever stem that you can interchange with your other cobs as long as they are the same type (filtered or unfiltered).
Remember, pipe smoking isn't a rush to the finish line. It's a nice, slow ceremony for maximum enjoyment. Smoke only when you have the time - like your evening relaxation hour. Later on, when you are truly comfortable with smoking your pipe, pull out one of the briars and give it a try.
It took me years (no internet when I started) to learn the right way to pack, light, and enjoy a pipe. Don't get me wrong, I loved my pipe, but I really didn't enjoy my pipe until I joined the forum. Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Confessions of a pipe smoker:
Hi, my name is David and I suck at pipe smoking.
1. I can't keep a bowl lit. Pack looser, pack tighter, change pipes, sip more slowly, cube cut, fold n stuff, char light, use matches, Bics, Zippos, smoke facing North Carolina, whatever.
2. I have wrecked both briars and cobs. Even wrecked a meerschaum. I have broken the tenon, crinkled the finish, made a cob turn black, and got a meer to color with a sharp edge.
3. Pipes have ruined cigars for me. I still have some cigars, but have no desire to smoke them. I just don't want to make the investment.
4. Until I got my windfall, I lived in constant fear of running out of fire or tobacco. I keep candles and spaghetti in case I run out of matches, because my stove is one of those glass cook top types that won't make fire.
I can't stand peace and quiet, I like action and adventure. Fortunately, I don't like angry music. Great post, daylight.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hang in there Jason. I can identify with some of your troubles. I don't puff like a freight train, but I do struggle with packing correctly and keeping the pipe lit, and knowing how moist/dry, loose/tight the tobacco is/should be in the pipe. I've only been doing this a little over a year, but at times it seems like it'll take forever to get better at it. But, it's just a matter of time, paying attention to details, and being observant on what I'm doing/not doing. We're all in this together, and we actually get better learning from others' mistakes. So, don't give up. Besides, if you gave up and didn't post any longer, we'd no longer be able to see your ugly mugshot on here, now would we? :nana:

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
You are not alone with the over smoking.
A fellow pipe smoker (Lannes) once recommended to me that I keep a number of pipes at the ready and rotate through them, without worrying about smoking to the end.When a pipe heats up, put it down and light another one. I keep a rack of 7 on the back porch to smoke. It has saved me many a burn out, I'm sure.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Fading,
Pipe-smoking as a microcosm of life: we all suck at it to varying degrees, but some of us keep struggling to improve. Relax, enjoy and realize that the journey, not the destination (with apologies to Emerson) is what counts most.
Cobs are great. Try some forever stems and your cobs will be a fabulous smoke. (And, if you ruin a cob, just move the nice stem to the next one.)
Be well, and welcome back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ok, don't be too self-critical. You can change your ways as much as you like, but no more than that.

Smoking a pipe is a pleasure, not a test.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
First, let me stand up and applaud your post, well written and something we should all do as pipe smokers. :clap:

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
First, let me stand up and applaud your post, well written and something we should all do as pipe smokers. :clap:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I remember that frustration in your well written post. You don't mention what you use to light your pipe. I found when I switched to matches, I did not scorch the tobacco so much (or at all) and I slowed my smoking cadence down considerably. No more hot pipes and bowls were just simmering. Also, don't overtamp. Keep us posted!

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks guys. In the end, I am not upset about any of it, hell I enjoyed every bowl, wrecked pipe or not. Generally I use a BIC, and I take long pulls, seems to maximize flavor when you actually get a mouthful of smoke. Not big on wisps and hints. I love ODF because it has a kick you in the mouth flavor. I think I am going to give Gaslight a go too, everything I read says it's a flavor powerhouse too.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Welcome back Jason - I've missed your humour and gentle ribbing (especially of woodsroad!). +1 on the ODF and you will love Gaslight; I have half a pound arrived last week and I'm resisting opening it but that won't last!
Re. mishaps, about the only thing I haven't burned is a pipe...I've set light to clothes, a hat, a tablecloth, a book and my hand. Yes, I burned the hairs off my hand lighting a pipe after refilling a lighter. Looked like a scene from a Laurel & Hardy film. Ho hum.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.