What Has Happened to Samuel Gawith Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
@condorlover1

Anyone missing the sauce, I hope you got a piece of this last drop.

The Ennerdale comes out swinging on this batch.

The Glengarry and Rum Flake seem about medium, though this is my first time with the Rum Flake, so I have no baseline to compare.

I think the sauce level on the flakes correlates with the sauce level of the artisans..... 🤪

1663394396389.png

Jun 23, 2019
I just picked up some of this year's SG Navy Flake and have been comparing it with some from 2017, hard to say how much of the difference in taste is from the age.

The 2017 flakes are ashy with sugar crystals, smokes a little cooler. I actually found the rum casing to be lighter in the new tin, which was unexpected. The rum taste is pretty similar between the two though

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Just picked up some Glengarry Flake from the new shipment. I'll see how it compares from the shipment 6 months ago.
You’ll be alright with that one, Glengarry hasn’t changed. At least, not in the UK it hasn’t. With the blends I regularly purchase, they’ve changed the flavour & scent ingredients on Ennerdale, broken flake #7 & Brown Flake Scented/Aromatic. The biggest change being Ennerdale. I’ll be ‘over the moon’ if they’ve reverted back to the original formula. They should do, they’re ‘shooting themselves in the foot’ lacing quality leaf in whatever ghastly concoction they’ve been using lately.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
You’ll be alright with that one, Glengarry hasn’t changed. At least, not in the UK it hasn’t. With the blends I regularly purchase, they’ve changed the flavour & scent ingredients on Ennerdale, broken flake #7 & Brown Flake Scented/Aromatic. The biggest change being Ennerdale. I’ll be ‘over the moon’ if they’ve reverted back to the original formula. They should do, they’re ‘shooting themselves in the foot’ lacing quality leaf in whatever ghastly concoction they’ve been using lately.
Nope, not changed any formula.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Nope, not changed any formula.
That’s the ticket, keep your nose in the air, fingers in your ears & look the other way!👍
Just because I smoke a pipe doesn’t mean I’m an idiot, so please don’t talk to me like one. You say the formula hasn’t changed but how would you know? Do you, your brother or any of the management smoke a pipe or hold regular ‘tasting sessions’ to keep your blends in check? Obviously not or we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Please don’t take my comments the wrong way as I’m trying to be constructive rather than critical. I’ve been on the pipe for 34 years now & an enthusiastic devotee of your blends for the last 20 years or so. I think it’s admirable that you come on a pipe forum & engage with us but to keep your head in the clouds & dismiss our concerns is doing a disservice to both your company & to us, your customers.
As I said in an earlier post, most of my favourite blends from your company have remained unchanged & are nothing short of excellent. Certain blends, the floral or ‘Lakeland Sauce’ ones have been altered though & it would be encouraging to hear you’ll try & rectify the change or at the very least recognise the fact that we, your customers don’t appreciate the change.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
That’s the ticket, keep your nose in the air, fingers in your ears & look the other way!👍
Just because I smoke a pipe doesn’t mean I’m an idiot, so please don’t talk to me like one. You say the formula hasn’t changed but how would you know? Do you, your brother or any of the management smoke a pipe or hold regular ‘tasting sessions’ to keep your blends in check? Obviously not or we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Please don’t take my comments the wrong way as I’m trying to be constructive rather than critical. I’ve been on the pipe for 34 years now & an enthusiastic devotee of your blends for the last 20 years or so. I think it’s admirable that you come on a pipe forum & engage with us but to keep your head in the clouds & dismiss our concerns is doing a disservice to both your company & to us, your customers.
As I said in an earlier post, most of my favourite blends from your company have remained unchanged & are nothing short of excellent. Certain blends, the floral or ‘Lakeland Sauce’ ones have been altered though & it would be encouraging to hear you’ll try & rectify the change or at the very least recognise the fact that we, your customers don’t appreciate the change.
I cant comment as my newest blends date from 2016 but there does seem to be a lot of comments on changes/toning down the sauce.
surely that many people cant all imagine it or is it read it on line and repeat it?

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Hold on to your wad, dude…

The manufacturer was nice enough to respond to this ridiculous thread, but apparently you can’t wrap your brain around that. And you certainly don’t speak for me, what’s with the “us” and “we”…?

Oh, and use paragraphs.

Jun 23, 2019
I was not aware of that. Well just goes to show you how reliable some of the info that’s posted on the interwebs is.

Gawith Hoggarth & Co bought out Samuel Gawith a couple of years ago, which was when a lot of people started to notice changes in blends from both brands.

Hold on to your wad, dude…

The manufacturer was nice enough to respond to this ridiculous thread, but apparently you can’t wrap your brain around that. And you certainly don’t speak for me, what’s with the “us” and “we”…?

Oh, and use paragraphs.

This Gawith PR person is merely here to keep us idiots in line and keep buying their production. Anyone who've smokes any Lakeland blends of theirs from 2019 to now can tell you exactly how much have changed... Or you can listen to the PR person who doesn't smoke...

Again, I too am running the risk of sounding rude here but what would you expect from someone who doesn't smoke a pipe? They're not here to join in the discuss, just to tell you what the "official word" from the company is.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Gawith Hoggarth & Co bought out Samuel Gawith a couple of years ago, which was when a lot of people started to notice changes in blends from both brands.

Thanks for clearing that up…

This Gawith PR person is merely here to keep us idiots in line and keep buying their production. Anyone who've smokes any Lakeland blends of theirs from 2019 to now can tell you exactly how much have changed... Or you can listen to the PR person who doesn't smoke...
Again, I too am running the risk of sounding rude here but what would you expect from someone who doesn't smoke a pipe? They're not here to join in the discuss, just to tell you what the "official word" from the company is.
Hey - maybe you’re right…

Perhaps this PR person should fold up the company and start selling dolls on Etsy. I mean she’s a girl, so she should know about dolls, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.