PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Many people love their Zippo lighter and I'm one of those. I did however lose touch with my Zippo for a while after we moved. I recently found it packed away and have started using it again and did miss it.
I know many used the old fluid and many loved it when they went to the new formula due to less smell/taste. I didn't really mind the old. There are others that use Ronson fluid.
At one time I had run out of fuel for mine and in looking around for something to put in it happened upon a can of Coleman camp fuel and thought "Why Not?" So I filled it with the Coleman fuel and found it works very well. I've used it ever since and am using it still now.
The Zippo fuel is $3-$5 a can, depending on what size and I'm not sure how much the Ronson is, but the Coleman fuel is very cheap compared to either, as it comes in a gallon can.
One side note though, if you couldn't stand the smell of the old Zippo or the Ronson, then you won't like the Coleman fuel. But they say that if you light it and let it burn a few seconds first, then there is no flavor and it works the same with the Coleman fuel.
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was looking for a cheap alternative. You can even refill a Zippo or Ronson container with it by prying off the top of either.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
igloo, that's pretty much what Coleman fuel is too! Works great and lasts a few days per fill.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
They make a insert for a zippo that takes butane best invention ever( I do realize that the original post is 2mths old and this advice probably little relevance if that person is still around) I hope that someone else can use this info and through that blasted nasty liquid messy fuel away forever.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I've been using Ronson with mine but I've been wondering about trying denatured alcohol.

If it works, not only will it not impart any taste to the smoke, it'll have a softer flame as well

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I can tell a big difference in the smell of the Ronson--that is far stronger--than the Zippo in the black can. The smell reminds me of when I was younger but I do not need to go back there. Use the Zippo.

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
Whatever burns. Any brand labeled "lighter Fluid", charcoal starter, lantern fuel or gasolene.

Status
Not open for further replies.