What Exactly Does a Lakeland Ghost Smell Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is much talk when discussing estates of an infamous 'Lakeland ghost' haunting the stem and bowl. I recently got a Peterson with some ghosting in it and it got me thinking. The usual descriptor is not very helpful for a novice pipe smoker like myself.
Any pointers? The only thing I can tell is that it smells much like my godfathers old pipes, which of course is no help to you.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I smoke some of the Lakelands scented blends, but I don't know how it presents as a ghost. The Lakelands essence has a definite floral quality to it. There are usually fruit notes as well. The topping varies from blend to blend. I also get the frequently mentioned soapy note but don't find it unpleasant. This is just the essence; the base tobaccos also contribute their flavors to the blend.
It's harder to describe the flavor of a Lakelands blend than it is a garden variety aromatic, in my opinion. If you haven't ever tried a Lakelands blend, it's worth picking up an ounce of Kendal Flake and smoking it in a cob. Even if you end up hating it, you'll have a much better idea of whether you're tasting a Lakelands ghost in the future.
The only thing I can tell is that it smells much like my godfathers old pipes
That would make think more of codger burleys (Prince Albert, Half & Half, Mixture 79, etc.) or Lane aromatics than Lakelands, but it's impossible to diagnose over the internet.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Flower, perfume, soap. It’s quite unmistakable once you know the smell and taste.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Floral glycerin soap.
This.
When people say, "Lakelands taste like soap".
This is what they mean, it has a smell like most scented hand soaps.
Ever wash you hands with a strong floral soap, and then cup your hands over your nose and inhale deeply? That's what it's like.

Any aromatic ghost is a mess, especially if you don't intend to smoke aromatics or Lakeland aromatics in the pipe. Much ado about this is just the fact that we use Lakelands as a scapegoat on the forum, like a running gag... and by gag I mean Lakelands. Badoom Tissss :puffy:
But, really, aromatics tend to go deeper into the briar and pipe guts than any other tobaccos. Thus, Lakelands do.
If you wonder what they taste like, they can range from banana to chocolate to vanilla to rose geranium which smells like those pink soaps in your grandma's bathroom in the shape of roses.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I recently bought an estate meerschaum, and its ghosted something fierce. Not with Lakelands, which I would welcome, but rather something that makes me think Lane 1-Q. Its horrible. Ive sanded the bowl down, scrubbed the stem with bristle pipe cleaners and toothpaste. Still there. Ive been smoking 1792 in it and I can still taste the ghost. If it doesnt dissapate soon I may have to smoke some Ennerdale in it before I give it the boot.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By no means did I infer an aversion to Lakelands. I love them. In order of genres, Lakelands are my second favorite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Joseph
I can't believe I'm the one saying this, but have you tried running hot water through the bowl?

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
No I havnt run hot water through it, but when I get home from work I’m going to.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Ever sniff a dog's butt?-woodsroad
Thanks a lot, woodsroad! :evil:
Curious to see what Lakeland Ghosting is like, I called Old Yeller over, turned him toward the north while I went south. It took me 10-minutes to crawl up off the floor to type this!
I won't be smoking Lakelands. :?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now that's going the extra mile! Presumably in the name of the science of tobaccos. My dogs sniff my butt from time to time, but so far I have resisted the urge to reciprocate and find out what's so fascinating about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.