What Ever Happened to the Cob Year Marathon?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of our Forums member proposed to smoke only one given Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe for an entire year. I remember hearing from him for several months, and then nothing. Are you still on Forums? Did you finish the year? Has anyone heard from this man? Who was that (masked man)? It was a noble experiment, and I hope he didn't quit Forums just because he abandoned the experiment. I think it would be a little monotonous if you are used to rotating pipes. It was a noble quest. Hello? Hello? You out there?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didimauw, close enough for government work, I say. That was a pretty cool run. Was the pipe failing, or did you just get really bored? I don't know how I missed the wrap-up on that. Anyway, good job. No contenders for the current record, I don't think. So you're the reigning champion.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So the pipe didn’t make it and he did- it wasn’t a toxic cob then. Saw an Aristocob autopsy after a 9 month daily smoking. When he cut it I didn’t seem to think it was that close to being said and done.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hahaha MSO!
Well, if I got you thinking about it then I did something right. Nope, the cob is still a daily smoker for me. There was nothing wrong with it. What happened was a mix of things. I quit smoking cigarettes, again, for the last time this go around. Also with moving and my new job, I wasn't smoking nearly as much as my normal 12 bowls a day, so it really wasn't as exciting as I thought.
I have debated doing it again, with another new cob or with a Dr Grabow. I have actually ruined more Grabows from smoking, than I have with cobs. So that one might be interesting. That is, if anyone wanted to watch it happen. Haven't decided yet.
And the autopsy idea, is a no go. Because it is still a daily smoker. I have grown very close to that damn cob. It's the one I bought the two forever stems for. And rotate those two stems a couple times a day. But if I decide to do it again, I'd consider an autopsy afterwards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So the story has a happy ending. You made it, the pipe made it, and I remembered to ask about it, and people remembered enough to report about it. Performance art at its best. I agree, no autopsies on living pipes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Smoked 7 bowls through it today, and it's still performing great, even after the rough year we had together.
Now debating my next pipe adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.